Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early- to mid-90s Thumb bass woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkfill, Feb 19, 2003.

1. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    What was used for the neck and body of Warwick Neck-thru Thumb basses made in the early to mid-90s, and was this one of the Warwicks that got changed to "cheaper" woods and other hardware since then?

2. i think they used wenge for necks and fingerboards, whereas they now use ovangkol, and wenge just for the boards.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IIRC bubinga body and wenge neck. I never was very interested in Warwick basses, but I think that things started to change when Warwick moved production from Erlangen to Bubenreuth in 1995. They expanded at the same time, and this always means you need to compromise in some way in order to get enough wood for a reasonable price.

4. I owned a 1990 Thumb neck thru a couple years back. The body was Bubinga and the neck was a 5 or 7 piece neck made up of Wenge and Bubinga and the fretboard was wenge. Mine also had dot markers on the board, the brass nut and MEC electronics.

Now if IIRC Warwick didn't switch over to from Bubinga to Ovangkol (Shedua) until the late 90's (I owned a 1998 Bubinga bodied Corvette 5) and this was mostly due to availability issues regarding Bubinga vs. Ovangkol. Not to cut costs.