1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Early US Lakland Joe Osborn RW fretboards... Brazilian??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drums1977, Mar 29, 2015.

1. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I recently got the chance to purchase a very early JO US Lakland (no. 107). A truly amazing jazz bass that actually feels and sounds almost identical to my 1962 Jazz Bass. Anyway, the thing is that looking at the wood on the fingerboard, I noticed it was very "thick" and solid, meaning it had very few pores, just like the Brazilian RW used on Fender or on my PreCBS P. Brazilian RW has much fewer pores per square inch than Indian RW. Then I got out my 2006 US Decade and a more recent Precision for comparison (both having Indian RW fretboards), and I noticed how the rosewood on those had definitively at least twice as many pores as the early JO. My question is, did Lakland use brazilian RW in the early production on JO?

Thanks!!

2. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    Good question!
    I don't have the answer. You might want to post pictures and include any comparison shots with other basses that you own.

3. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I can't really take a photo good enough to show the pores in the wood, I am afraid! I wonder if maybe there is some TBer with a deep knowledge of Lakland production out there! ;)

4. Brazilian Rosewood was never a stock option on the JO bass at any point in time. That doesnt mean that there couldn't be some examples of it out there considering Lakland would do all kinds of custom stuff for people.

5. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Mmmm, that's interesting. This one was originally made for a famous session LA Bass player, maybe he ordered something special? Maybe I will check with Lakland, they might have a record of these early basses...

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    They should have a record....number 107 huh? Very cool...we STILL need to see pics!

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Mine allegedly has madagascar, but most have indian I believe. Mine is a little darker most are kind of a medium brown. They are always VERY thick.

8. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I'll try and take some pictures. Maybe is very thick Indian rw then. I love that bass.

9. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    I had a buddy that had a prototype. I don't know about the rosewood. (I'd guess indian) But it had a factory made 7.25 radiused fingerboard.

10. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Pics:

DSC_0091_zpsb37hymmm.

DSC_0090_zpsdrkp1pgl.

DSC_0093_zpsx4pxjfuj.

DSC_0094_zpsjxw7pohp.

DSC_0095_zpsc3jcaubo.

11. It's hard to tell from pictures, but the color looks a little light for Brazilian, which is usually a more chocolate brown. I'd guess it was Madagascar, which has a similar grain structure to Brazilian but is lighter. Here's a shot of the Brazilian board on my 63 P Bass for comparison.

image.

12. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Yes, brazilian is generally darker, but not always. In this photo, a 1960 P and a 1962 J, both brazilian, but one much darker than the other:

IMG_2591_zpsfefd7c92.

As you said, it is probably madagascar RW. It is so much thicker than CS Fenders I've owned.

13. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
  14. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    I had one of th first 100 (90 something)JO's and it had a gorgeous fretboard that looked like other Madagascar rosewood I've owned. Definitely didn't look like any Indian rosewood I've ever had. Sounded great but the neck had a backbow and I ended up returning it. Madagascar rosewood makes a beautiful fretboard.