Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Early Warwick Streamer w/ Spector body style...good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireBug, Nov 10, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Ok let me give you a heads up. The P pickup is a dummy, as the guy said it burned out a while ago. He had pretty much gutted the electronics which is fine with me since I don't like MEC anyway. That J pickup is a Basslines one. He said one of the tuning pegs is messed up which would cost a few bucks and there is thumb wear abobe the P pickup.

http://houston.backpage.com/musicia...d=oid:133015&name=music equipment/instruments

You guys think this is a good deal, given the history of the bass? The neck looks like it could use a good cleaning.

If anyone could come up with some helpful specs they would be appreciated and some history behind that body too.

Thanks for the input!

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Gosh, that is an odd one. Kind of halfway between the original Streamer (I own an '87) and the Stage 1. Even if the electronics are knackered and it needs some new tuners, I don't think you'll find a better bass for $600.

I wonder if it was a custom instrument?

Here's mine btw:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nicola.kate.simpson/photos/bigrig.jpg

Clean it up, put some EMG's and an OBP-3 in (like mine!) and prepare to be amazed!

Alex

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I forgot to mention that it does have a curved back. It's hard to tell from the pictures. Based on what he said when I talked to him it was a complete Warwick when he got it. Gutted it, threw DiMarzios in, which later died. Keep in mind the repairs for this would be in the $300 range. I would add an OBP-3 and probably another Basslines P pickup. The tuning machine wouldn't cost too much. The body is essentially a curved back Spector style body.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Apart from having the new bridge design and a just-a-nut I, it's identical to mine, except it has non-standard woods. My Streamer, and all other early ones I've seen, have cherry bodies and wenge necks, whilst this looks like a maple neck and body.

The earliest Warwicks had a Spector shape headstock and upper horn (convex without the concave bit you can just about see in that one). This one is much later than that.

Remember, this is a handmade bass, not a production line one as in later years. Old Warwicks are some of the most undervalued instruments out there.

Alex

P.S. I'm getting a 6-string bass - what does that say about me?

5. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    uh, i would consider it an excellent deal(provided the truss rod works, neck is straight, and the frets can be leveled and dressed). do yourself a favor and buy it before someone else does.

6. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Haha, that quote in my sig was from the tabcrawler bass forums many years ago. Originally posted by Thumper. I don't actually believe that quote, I just thought it was funny.

Back on topic. So with the information that I've given you guys what should he be charging for it? Apparently 600 is a good deal, even for a bass missing a pickup with thumb wear and a broken tuning machine.

If one of you were to put one up for sale exactly in the same condition, what would you charge?

7. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i wouln't sell it in the condition that it is in. i would find suitable pickups and a preamp for a good price.(preferrably emg's on ebay). cleanup, replace the tuner, new strings and a setup, etc. etc. for a small amount of dough it should sell for 1000-1300. but i would probably end up keeping it, though.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the p is a dumy pickup, so it just has the jazz? thatll sound very brittle.

9. Interesting bass. Honestly, I would probably snap it up in an instant, and if you don't buy it, I just might!

10. If the actual bass itself (neck/body wood) is in good condition, as in without cracks/working truss rod, I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat. Put in a new P pickup and a nice preamp, replace the tuner, and you've got a vintage streamer for under a grand. That's tough to beat.

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Hmmm. It seems my Warmoth 5 will temporarily be put on hold yet again. Any one else have problems with GAS? ;)
    Yeah, I'd like to finish the Warmoth, but I know a good deal when I see one. I'm going to go play this guys bass soon and see if everything checks out. My feeling is that it will probably need a tune up but...

Are Warwick necks very tough? I'd hate to go over there and find a horrible setup done on it. It's not like I can crank down on the thing with an allen wrench at the guy's house. What I'm saying is, even if there is a bad setup, maybe some bow in the neck, can it be fixed? What is Warwick's reputation for necks?

Also, how much will a Warwick tuning machine cost me? It wasn't until I looked closely at the pictures that I saw it had a "W" on the backs of the machines.

12. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
  13. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Read a bunch of reviews and have an update:
    http://www.basscentral.com/warwick/streamers.shtml#stagei

Apparently, good condition Stage 1s go for $1500 used if they are early 90s.

This is my last update for tonight. Tomorrow I will call him again, ask him about action, fit, and finish, and set a date when i can go and play it. Hopefully he has taken care of it and beeswaxed it every now and then. This bass deffinately has my interest.

14. Yup. That thing screams dream project bass like no other. I honestly would be all over that if I had the cash to move quick and if i'd found it first :)

But like people have mentioned. Make sure the neck is straight and that the truss rod isn't stripped (if it's possible to check it).

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Don't know much about Warwicks but that wood tone kicks some serious a$$! :eek:

16. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I finally got over to the guest house the guy was living in to play the bass. Bad vibes immediately. He goes and shows me the bass and then chills on the couch fiddling with a large kitchen knife with some brown stuff on it. This is the guy's only bass. The guy really did look like the type to kidnap children. I put 2 and two together. This guy has a heroin addiction and needs to pay someone off. The vibes get worse when he starts sliding his finger across the blade and then messes around with his zipper while watching tv.
    Weird stuff.
    So back to the bass. I start playing it and it has nice action and everything. The strings obviously haven't been changed in at least a year and there is the absolute worst finger gunk all over the fretboard (which has no cracks so that is nice). He hasn't waxed the body in 6 years and there is a dip in the wood right above the P pickup from thumb wear. The intonation is slightly off and there are little cob webs collecting dust at the bridge. He had completely gutted the electronics and only the J bridge was working...there was no bass/treble adjustment.

I have to say it sounded pretty good for a J with no electronics. Punch. He commented on my bass playing and the evil look vanished from his eyes. I guess he wanted to make sure the bass was going to someone worthy.

So yeah this bass has the absolute worst case of finger gunk...green and slimy. The frets may need a little leveling. He can't find anything on the bass that says Stage I or Stage II, and all it has on it are some numbers and "92" on the very top of the headstock. Absolutely no electronics...but still sounded good.

A thorough cleanup, wax job, and some bridge work along with a new tuning machine, another pickup and a preamp needed. What do you guys think?

17. Project-priced, I suppose it's pretty good.

I'd be a little skeptical about where it's coming from if your impression of the guy is correct. Did he play it for you at all? Can he even play? Was it actually his bass??? I know that it would seem stupid for someone that may have stolen gear to get crack money to advertize in the open to sell it, but not everyone's that smart when it comes to needing their fix. Caution says research the serial # if you buy it and make sure it's free and clear. Sorry to play "devil's advocate", but it's just my impression from your description.

18. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I say go for it. Think of the end result.

19. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    The guy did actually play it and I would say he is pretty darn good. He said that since the DiMarzio burned out he has been playing his friend's bass. He may have been a real oddball, but I can always tell when people are lying. He just sounds like he really needs cash. I don't think to fund a drug addiction, but that maybe he is renting that little house in these people's backyard. We had a small conversation about the Houston music scene and we both agree that things are hard if you want to play anything other than metal or emo. That said, I think we've established a "bassist brotherhood".

I got him to pretty much put me ahead of anyone else that should call him about it.

If anyone has any information regarding things printed on the headstock of Streamers then let me know. It doesn't even have Stage I written on it.

20. Thanks for expanding on the "experience". All of a sudden, he sounds like an okay guy; just down on his luck. Go for the bass. You'll do it proud and help him out at the same time. Like "Shearstown" said, "consider the end result." You'll love it. :D