1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EARNHARDT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike phillips, May 14, 2006.

1. is it just me or does racin suck since the loss of dale earnhardt. racin was my life. it was all i thought about. now i cant even watch it. i worked as a crewman in the busch series for many years. my last year in nascar was with the truck series. martinsville of 01 was my last race. i still love the cars. i still have friends in cup, busch and truck but i just cant follow it any more. yes i was and still am a dale earnhardt fan. is it because dale is not there or to many new rules? it just looks like follow the leader. no beatin or bangin. no cussin. fines for everything. cost for the fan out of sight. what do yall think? dale i never worked for you but it was my goal and it made me work that much harder. rest in peace my friend.

2. Yes, I could not agree more my friend. Also before the loss of Dale Earnhardt.

3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I don't know anything about racing, I just wanted to marvel at that dialect-heavy post.

4. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    :smug:

5. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I've been a pretty big racing fan for a while, but these past two seasons have been pretty tough to follow. There's very little excitement in it anymore- save for the last 20 laps or so of a given race. I liked when the drivers could race back to the caution. I liked when they could do a bump and run without the threat of being fined or docked points. I liked when drivers would be beating and banging in the middle of the pack, fighting for every inch they could get. It's not like that anymore, and I think it is because Dale Earnhardt was killed in a wreck. NASCAR is afraid of that happening again- so they're making racing as safe as possible. But with every new safety measure they install, it becomes more and more boring.

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    You owe me a cup of coffee all over my screen and keyboard. :D

I never could get into "racin", it just seemed so monotonous. Cars go round and round a big oval. Yay. CART racing or whatever it is through the city streets is pretty cool though. :)

AuG

7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    Or through the jungle, or a rainbow raceway among the stars.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's always John Force, 13-time National Champion Funny Car driver.

9. I can't support a sport that is so bigoted towards turning to the right.

10. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    My son used to race karts on an oval, and if you knew what a science it is to get the car set up perfectly to gain that extra tenth of a second, it would probably help the experience. The cars are at their fastest right at the brink of losing control.

The calculations and adjustments are unreal; adding or removing .25 lb of air from the right rear tire could mean the difference between a first and third place finish.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Being involved does make it more exciting, but watching NASCAR is still a boring experience. Hell, I thought it was boring even before they stopped letting the drivers ram each other into the walls. NASCAR is doing it's best to keep the racing exciting, make it safer AND attract a broader audience, but it still puts me to sleep every time. Quite honestly, if I want to watch good old boys go fast and turn left, I'll just hang out in the WalMart parking lot on a Saturday afternoon. ;)

12. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I did lose a lot of interest in it after they changed the rules to lock in the top 10 drivers in the Race to the Chase or whatever it is; if your driver is in 11th place after a certain time in the season, he is ineligible to win the Nextel Cup. Only the top 10 drivers at the time of the cutoff can compete in the race for the Cup.

That's just stupid. What if someone has a great end of season, and something happens to a few of the front-runners (crew shakeup, major accidents/injuries, engine problems, etc)? It is unlikely, but possible, for that to occur.

Honestly, I have tuned out more and more lately; we used to hang out with some other race fans with loyalties to rival drivers and that made it more interesting (good-natured ribbing, etc.) but with a toddler running around we've been staying home and a couple hours of watching is a luxury we just don't have anymore. We usually just leave the TV tuned to it and check in throughout rather than sitting down and watching it.

Sometimes the commentators themselves are good entertainment, like when Darryl Waltrip was arguing that the vortex created by 43 cars going in circles sometimes is enough to keep storm clouds away from the track. :meh:

13. DaleD

DaleD

Nov 12, 2005
    Colorado Springs
    I also miss the old days.. Hell I'm a Geoff Bodine fan.. LOL
    I miss watching him and Dale swap paint..
    Nowadays it's become to much of a money game. Who has the most usually wins it seems

14. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Not to mention that they are getting too good and finding the cheaters. They need to open up the rules to allow more innovation. The tight regulation of car bodies, engine performance and every other aspect of the cars make it a) less exciting because they are all virtually identical in performance, and b) more dangerous because they are all virtually identical in performance.

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I was never into to NASCAR or any stock car for that matter. There isn't enough variety in anything they do. I really enjoy rally, f1, and gt racing. You have a much more wide variety of cars and tracks.

Anyway, NASCAR needs to let more auto companies in. Even though Toyota is coming they should let Honda and Nissan.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I like NASCAR's road courses better than the ovals, but they only have two per season.

I really like open-wheel--Champ Car World Series, Champ Car Atlantic Series, F1, and IRL.

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    That's good, because NASCAR turns left.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    While I mourned the loss of Dale Earnhardt, he did so much for the sport that he'll always be with us.

My biggest complaints are:
    1. Rule changes... race for the cup, what is that?
    2. Nextel Cup... seriously. It's Winston Cup for me, always will be. What's next, Verizon Grand National?
    3. Toyotas. Need I say more?

19. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Big +1 for the Nextel Cup garbage. They should have at least not made the name change retroactive. Dale Sr. was NOT a 7 time Nextel Cup Champion. He was a 7 time WINSTON Cup champion.

It could have been worse, I guess. It could have been sponsored by Dixie.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What's wrong with Nextel?