1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Earnie Ball Cobalt Flats for 6 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ev223, Aug 28, 2017.

1. ev223

ev223

Feb 8, 2017
    Australia
    Hi guys. As far as I can tell there is no 6 string set of cobalt flats and the lightest gauge single string I can find is .040. In the Earnie Ball round wound 6 string sets the high C is .032. Would I be ok to use a single .040 for the high C and the get a .45-130 5 string set?

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    A .04 tuned to C3 at 34" scale is going to pull between 60 and 67 pounds depending on how it's made; the .045 G and .065 D should have ~45 and ~50 lbs respectively, give or take a couple ##. In short, if the super-fat C doesn't break you'll still have to deal with its considerable tension.
    Hit an online MI string dealer and buy a bunch of different single flatwounds for guitar, of different gauges ranging between .028 and .032. Try each of them when fresh and keep the one that feels best and sounds most similar to the .045 cobalt, then listen to how it ages and replace it with one of the 2nd-best discards when needed, rinse and repeat. Or just buy an identical twin of the original winner.
    You're probably going to have to thread the guitar strings into a used bass ball-end for it to anchor at the bridge (assuming the latter has a toploading option) but I know for experience that at least some of the guitar flats out there are definitely long enough to reach the rightmost/most groundward tuning post of a long-scale bass (except for all-inline tuner headstock configs of course).

ev223 likes this.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They don't make a high c. Not enough demand they say. The high c is mostly core anyway... You should be able to get away with any other high c with the rest of the set.

ev223 and Lee Moses like this.
  4. ev223

ev223

Feb 8, 2017
    Australia
    Cheers guys. Its a real pity Ernie ball doesn't do a flat wound high C. I'm loving their Slinky Roundwound at the moment but was pretty keen on trying the cobalt flats. I may have to look for another brands flat wound high C if they exist or just stick with the round wounds.