Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earning money for a bass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dain bramage, Jul 11, 2005.

1. What are some good ideas to earn money? I'll probably mow lawns, but what else can a 15 year old do? Also, what is a good bass for a beginner?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Mow lawns.. wash cars... collect cans... babysit... embezzle lunch money...

3. It's summertime, silly goose! How am I going to embezzle lunch money? If only I hadn't spent all that stolen lunch money on random crap........

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    www.rondomusic.com
    they make some cheap bass's- The SX's appearantly are fairly nice for the price- check those out :tup:

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You could try babysitting...

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Selling drugs is always a good way to get quick cash

J/K!

How about doing chores for your parents around the house and getting a weekly allowance? Paper route? Washing cars? Got any public pools in your area? You could be a lifeguard.

7. Start a book. Your local Fight Club is a good place to make some moolah. :D

Seriously, ask Mike Money - he might be able to get u a job at Macca's.

8. bump. More suggestions please. It's hard to find lawns this late in the summer that aren't already mowed.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You could do what the 15 year olds do in my neighborhood...

...break into cars, rob houses, mug people and sell drugs.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Get a job in a fast food place. I worked at McD's when I was 15 -- made enough to buy a 5 string. Then I got fired...and couldn't buy the bass, 'cause I needed to "save" that money. Of course, in the two years since that happened, almost ALL of that money went away -- CD's, effects pedal, movies, etc.

Now I'm at KFC -- started in June. I'm saving up to pay for a DB (which I now "own," but it won't be totally mine until I've paid it off.) I've gotta pay for a couple repairs first -- nut, fingerboard dressing (on both it and my electric,) and repairs to the bow, but I'll probably have it paid off completely sometime in November. Then I can start saving up for strings for it...;)

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Lawns need to be mowed atleast every 2 weeks. Some of my neighbors do theirs weekly.

12. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    A kidney on the black market can fetch up to $30,000. If you can't find the black market, try Ebay.

13. Someone else said it, but collecting cans is pretty sweet. i forget the exact rates around my area, but its like 30 cents a pound, and a pound is only like 15-20 cans.

EDIT: Also, I started out on an Ibanez GSR-100 bass. A very good starter, IMO. But almost any SX would be awesome as well.

14. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    YEAH, you can sell such stupid stuff on ebay and people buy it for alot of money, just market right.

and for the one who said a paper route.....I dont think there is one anymore, its now done by people's in cars. I wish there was a paper boy...than I'd have a reason to get up in the morning and do mean things to him. :cool:

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Are you sure? That would take 7500 cans to make $150.

16. Fast food. They're always looking for young slaves.

17. No. Not at all.

EDIT: I did some research. It says about $1.01 can be earned for one pund of aluminum cans. After more reseach, 33 cans produce a pound.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    when i was 15 i sold mary jane. only for a short time to fund me buying my first guitar.

i wouldnt suggest that, though it does make you quick money.

you should be able to work at cvs at 15 with working papers.

also, babysitting, lawnmowing, town pool(if you have one), the town dpw(when my friends were in hs, they all got summer jobs there), paperboy(do these still exist? my paperboy is 40 and drives).

also, ask your parents if you can work at their job doing bitch work. my boss' do this all th etime with their kids.

19. I had one till two months ago, when they switched to morning papers.

20. Is is really possible to work in fast food at 15? Also, my dad works in the garage, and he pays me a dollar for about 4 hours of work sometimes.