Earphone Amp

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Okay I am curious I practice a lot late at night. Because it's only time I can without interruption. My question is I use a Vox earphone amp though it really does the job. I want to know if I can use my pedals with it without damaging it. like will it be too much power and fry it? Or will it be ok. Don't want to ruin it.

2. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    It won't do any damage to it but there are better ways . I have always found the Vox to be very noisy . Fed a hot signal from a pedal chain would likely sound poor . A decent set of monitor headphones will make the biggest difference in what you hear . I am not a pedal user at all but I think that any nuance of sound you get with pedals will be lost through an amplug and earbuds . I use a set of Shure 440 headphones that I picked up from ebay used for £16 and a Phil Jones bass Bighead HA1 that was not quite such a bargain but sounds absolutely superb . The other option would be a cheap USB interface via a laptop . Either of these options would also allow you to record your playing .
    So , it won't damage it but don't expect it to sound that good . Give it a go and let us know how you get on .

3. Trilobita

Trilobita

Nov 16, 2018
    Take this with a grain of salt because I have never done it regularly over an extended period of time, but I have connected the Vox headphone amp several times straight into the output of a pedal with no damage to it, though I don't know for sure what would happen if you made a habit out of that and played several hours a day for months on end. Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable than I will show up and give you a more definitive answer.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Donald Wormuth likes this.
  4. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    I use a Blackstar Fly 3 mini amp. It has a headphone jack and I have some Bayer 770 cans. Pedals are fine in the chain. Works really well for quiet practice late at night

5. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    I like the Amplug generally speaking but I find myself using headphones and my rumble at home and just straight plugged in at school and where my “gigging” amp is. The Amplug is mostly for the in-laws (who last time I was there passive aggressively told my wife to not have me bring my guitar—boo hiss). Also, the construction is a bit shoddy—I recently had to replace lien because it got cracked being between my leg and the bass due to the jack location.

In short, if quiet practice is a must, you can do better.

6. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Pedals put out more or less the same signal strength as a bass, it should not be an issue. Google “ line level vs instrument level” for a more thorough picture

7. larrysb

larrysb

Mar 23, 2020
    $ilicon Valley
    I've been using the Fender Mustang Micro Amp on bass and guitar and really like it. It plugs straight into the instrument, and you used wired headset. It will blend blue-tooth audio from your computer or phone, allowing playing over songs, and it even functions as a USB audio interface. Rechargeable battery built in too. The guitar amp and effect simulations are good for practice too.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022