Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

earplug question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nobes, Mar 2, 2006.

1. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I read the threads about hearing loss and ear plugs on here and just got me a pair of er20's. I used them at band practice for the first time last night and loved the even response. I could hear everything clear (as opposed to the "muddiness" I get with the foamies) just a lower volume. I even found myself adjusting my tone a lot more as I could pick up on things I couldn't while using the foam ones.
    but...
    While I loved the even response, I didn't feel like they damped or lowered the volume enough (my drummer has some high-tech snare with holes in it that sounds great but is VERY loud). Does anyone know of any earplugs that give the same even frequency response of the er20's just at a greater reduction? I know about the custom ones and plan on getting them eventually but I just wanted to see if there was anything off the shelf. Something like er30's if they existed?
    Thanks

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
  3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think the ER20's say that their average volume reduction is about 12 db.

4. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    I just switched to ER 20's and yes they sound great but you are rigth htey are not enough my ears rang after teh gig, I am looking for a pair right now I may have to go custom

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I went with custom molded 15db reduction, but a local bar band, not mine, was still too loud for 15db custom. after a couple hours in the bar my ears still felt like they were goofy. :eek: they do make 25db reduction custom. (you remove the 15db diaphram and put in a 25 etc.)

6. I used my ER20s at a recent Deep Purple gig. It was the pre tour warm up concert at a small venue and was very loud. The only louder concert I have been to was Motorhead!

I was the only one in my party with no hearing problems when we left so I was very pleased with them.

Regards

Matthew

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had the same problem with ER-20s. I ended up getting molded plugs with both -15db and -25db filters.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have custom plugs with 15dB filters. I also bought a set of 25dB filters but never use them...then again I don't play super loud rock any more.

9. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll have to go get custom ones at -25 made for for me.

msquared, how do you find the -25 customs as compared to the er20's?

Helster, Let me know if you find anything

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The custom earmolds provide a much better seal than the ER-20s do, which I think is where a lot of the difference in effectiveness comes from. Without a proper seal, you're going to have problems.

The ER-20s aren't flat across the frequency range. The customs are (or close enough that I don't notice).

I also noticed that the innards of the ER-20s would eventually wear out and I'd hear a buzzing/rattling in my plugs.

The customs are also a lot more comfortable. The ER-20s aren't awful by any stretch but there's no comparison.

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If you get fitted plugs, go to an audiologist that deals with musicians (many do) and get full depth castings and plugs. Shallow plugs will knock down the SPL but you will have uneven freq response.

I don't wear mine on quieter gigs, but i always have them with me. priceless.

12. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The audiologist-made, deep-canal silicon plugs are by far the best ones to get. Most reduce sound levels 20-25 db, and they're not all that expensive ($55-$70 most places); well made ones fit so well that you forget you have them in, and they last for several years before hardening.

If you're a regularly gigging musician (or, for that matter, an avid motorcyclist as I am) -- heck, if you go to loud live-music shows regularly (as I also do, since I'm a music critic), they're the best money-for-benefit investment you'll make, period!