Earplugs - do you use them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leanne, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Always

69 vote(s)
  2. Sometimes

62 vote(s)
  3. Never

30 vote(s)
  1. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Do you wear earplugs? When?

I usually do, but it seems that most people don't.

Just curious..
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Always! I even go to see loud bands with them. If it's a bad band, no use for getting your ears bleeding for nuthin' - and if it's a good one, then it deserves to be heard well..
  3. My guitarist sucks, of course! :p

I dunno, I don't think I need 'em, but I do jam really loud, and noticed that I don't hear things that much anymore...

Ahh, I love bass! :D
  4. srbguitar

srbguitar Guest

Jul 19, 2002
    Fremont CA
    Always- during practice, we practice very loudly in a very small room, with the only carpet being the rug under the drums.

almost never- on stage, we mostly play outside gigs

so i voted sometimes
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I always use them.
    I have had custom earplugs molded to my ears.
    150 worthy $ at any audioprothesist chop.

They filter the sound almost linearly, 10 times better than foam ones.

Actually, I frequently forget them once I put them on.

They help a lot to hear instruments separately in heavy music.
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    My past experience I used them always. I used to work with a really extra loud guitarist. He would not turn down. Now that he is gone I haven't had to use them at practice, but might when we play out, and last nights practice got a little loud and I was getting ready to put them in. If you are wondering whether you should or not, The reason my old guitarist had to play so loud was due to hearing damage from from "playing so loud"!!!! I use Sonic IIs. You can find them at most music stores. They are much better than the foam things. I have heard you can get custom "professional" ones that cost hundreds of dollars but work like hearing aids or something. USE THEM !!!! if you even think you might be damaging your hearing.
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'll be 38 this week and although I don't play in the Hard Rock bands anymore the 25 years of full time professional gigging have taken their toll. I've had a little Tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) for a while now and so, have been using Pro earplugs for about 10 years now. I do a lot of vocals also so I find I've gotten so used to them I still use them for lower volume gigs (sometimes just the ear on the band side) 'cause its like sticking your finger in your ear and hearing your voice a lot more.

My Tinnitus hasn't gotten any worse. I have to sleep with some kind of low noise (Radio, TV, Fan, etc.) because I only hear it in a totally silent environment (if the power goes out this is what happens: :oops: :eek: ).
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Always - rehearsals, gigs, concerts, disco, loud machine work, exams....
  9. ALWAYS!

Since I've heard this very, very quiet hiss in my ears, I've become really paranoid about loud noise.
    Now I only hear it when I'm going to sleep and the room is silent, but I'm not willing to risk it getting any louder.
    I always wear earplugs when I rehearse, at concerts and gigs and even somtimes at bars.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I put sometimes... because I use to always wear them, but in the month I've been in a band again, I've forgotten to go pick some up.
  11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Sometimes. I have a hard time singing with them in. I have the custom ones and I can play with them in, but when I sing, I can't tell if I'm louder than everyone else. Pitch seems to be ok, but relative volumes are difficult to tell.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No, I never take drugs.
  13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hmmm. Self-irony.

Are you sure ?
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Well, I've been struggling to pay the bills every month, but I would exactly consider myself poor.
  15. I wear them on gigs, at practice, and when I go see other bands. I use Westones.
  16. What are some good earplugs, and where could I get them? I need some that won't block out certain frequencies more than others, so I can still use them when listening to or playing music.
    I had some Hear-Os I got as a gift, and when I took them to a Dick Dale concert (I figured it'd be loud, and I was correct), I couldn't really hear the guitar, which, that being a Dick Dale concert, was a bit of a problem.
  17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I grew up in a college town with a lot of bar having local and regional bands. I would sneak out and go check out a lot of them. Lots of them were real heavy and all, and I would come back home, with a decent buzz, and just have this ringing in my ear. But i didn't know that it was a ringing. I thought they were crickets losing it or something. (Great ad not to do drugs....). Anyways, I thought this for a little while, finally figured out what was going on.....

So I have used them pretty religiously for some time. I used to buy some nicer ones, well not real nice, but I also have a habit of losing most everything I own. So, I have gotten myself used to HEAROS, cheap little foamy guys. I can buy a box, and still tell pretty much all that is going on in the room. sure sometimes I feel like I am missing something, but it is not too often, and it sure beats killer crickets!
  18. I always use earplugs doesn't matter if it's a concert, gig or just rehearsal.
  19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hmmm. Maybe you should (or pay attention to the subject of the thread ).:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  20. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA

I like my hearing very, very much. :D