earplugs during concerts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dean5master, Dec 14, 2005.

1. dean5master

Feb 20, 2005
    well ive been playing bass for three years and have only played in like small worship bands in churches and camps.recently ive joined a Christian hardcore/metal/emo/punk band and will be playing louder music......does anyone wear earplugs? i want to be able to hear my music but not lose my hearing..and if you do wear earplugs which are the best to use?
  2. there are custom fit ones that are made for music. they are made to just drop the db level and nothign else. they are like $100 but worth it to save your hearing. i don't use ear plugs but i should sometimes

3. Custom fit are the best of course, but Etymotic ER-20 are very good, and should cost about $20. They lower the volume by 20 dB across all frequencies.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I don't need earplugs during concerts, but I am going to have to start wearing them at practices :(

At practices the amps face me, so I get the full effect. At gigs, the guitar amp is on the other side of the drums and the PA (such as it is) is in front of me, so the volume is not as loud.

It's not bad, so I am hoping some industrial earplugs will do. I consider it bad if your ears are ringing after the practice or concert.
  5. I didnt know hardcore/meta/emo and punk could be melded together liek that, and then to add christain to that just blows my mind!

ya get earplugs
  6. You absolutely NEED to wear earplugs in this situation if you don't want to suffer permanent hearing loss. If you don't yet own ear plugs, purchase some before your next practice, even if you're planning on getting some special fitted ones.
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    There is a long discussion on earplugs here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3743

My opinion is that earplugs are the best and most important equipment purchase you will ever make, and that not wearing them live is the mark of either an amateur or an upright bassist playing smooth jazz. And even the expensive custom fit ones aren't all that expensive.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Mark of an amateur? Guess I better give back all that money I made.
  9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Settle down, it's just an opinion. :rollno:
  10. Mark of a person sustaining hearing loss might be more accurate. Or just playing in a quiet band.
  11. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Another vote for Etymotic ER-20s at a minimum. If you use them and don't need them, you're out about $12 and the minor annoyance of using them. If you don't use them and do need them, you're facing never-ending tinnitus or other hearing damage, up to and including total deafness.

"Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but [someday] -- and for the rest of your life."

That's about as close to a no-brainer as I can imagine.

12. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I use those ugly yellow and orange construction earplugs you find at Home Depot that go behind your neck. They may look ugly, but the work excellent for my purposes, and I've played in loud groups before and had no discomfort with my ears, and I think they only cost me six bucks. Just another suggestion.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You are entitled to have your opinion, and I am entitled to call you on it if I think it's a dumb opinion, which I do. I know plenty of musicians who never wear earplugs and none of them are deaf. Maybe you play really loud to the point where you absolutely have to have them and that's fine. But don't refer to me and others I know who never wear them as amateurs just because we have the sense not to blast ridiculous SPL's. And don't tell me to settle down when you state opinions that I think are dumb and I call you on it.

Thank you.
  14. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think my signature applies nicely in this thread. Get ER-20's custom fitted ones. I find that 15's dont provide enough protection for me and wear industrial plugs in the mean time their only 88cents here which isnt a huge investment.
  15. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You forgot "please".
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I did say thank you.

Oh OK...please.

I do have to admit I know a couple drummers who have lost frequencies.
  17. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I do have to admit that I'm an amateur. :D

I picked up some tinnitus during high school marching band. And after years of playing with vocalists and fretless instrumentalists who are way off pitch by the end of a gig because their ears are fried, I find that the need for earplugs goes beyond simple prevention of hearing loss. Sorry if I came off as an overbearing douche.. it really should say "earplug zealot" next to my avatar.

And kudos for avoiding ear damage.
  18. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    The important thing to mention here is that everyone will sustain hearing damage at different levels. Everyone will experience the hearing damage differently. Some folks can come away from a heavy metal concert standing right next to the giant stack of PA speakers with nothing more than a slight ring in their ears.

Some, like me, start to feel that pressure on the ears at around 100 dB. That's when I know I need to put in the earplugs.

I've only done one show recently where I had to pull the earplugs out (it was in a concrete/metal warehouse and the low echo frequencies were killing me), and I totally regretted it... ears ringing for days...

We try not to play loud. But sometimes the room itself causes frequency buildup to such a point that hearing can become damaged at certain frequencies...

We're a Christian band, too, an alternative rock outfit. We don't play too loud as a rule. But sometimes being "loud enough" to the crowd ends up being "too loud" to the band. Hearing damage is cumulative to an extent, so just remember that it's better to plug and play again than to blow out your ears and never play again...
  19. dean5master

Feb 20, 2005
    well thank you for your suggestions....ive been using normal earplugs but plan to get custom fit ones....now to get the rest of my band to wear them
  20. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    So these supposed 100$ ear plugs....do they really outperform say a set of .99 cent soft foam plugs? That's all I use, and they work alright. Are the "expensive" plugs really worth it if they do the same thing as any other set?

Just askin, I don't mean to come off as an egotistical shmo and be assumed a prick because I had an "opinionated" question. :rolleyes: