Earplugs...Found some I liked!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jimbob, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    As the weekend is here and hopefully you are all playing high dollar gigs this weekend for adoring fans everywhere, I thought I'd share my thoughts on my newest toy!

My wife said "you are getting old...start thinking about earplugs" I said "What did you say?" Off to the store I went.

Hearos (not the foam ones, the one's with the filter) reduce the decibals -15db with no high end or, MORE IMPORTANTLY, low end loss...Muffle the annoying Cymbals, and you can still hear everything at a reasonable level...I bought them at Sam Ash for about $15.00. I will no longer play without them. They are comfortable too if you put them on correctly.

I have been wearing them for about a month now at practices and gigs and love them! I found I have more stamina while playing as I am not suffering from sensory overload and my days of next day "ear hangovers" have been history. I actually enjoy listening to the radio on my way home from gigs now!
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

The earplugs you are talking about are a rebranded version of the Etymotic Research ER-15 which are widely available, on the web, for about $12.00
  3. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    The closest thing I found that looked like them from Etymotic Research are the ER-20...but either way, they rule!
  4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

ER-20's - you are correct. Sorry. They are one and the same earplug

5. I've been wanting and need to get ear plugs.

I take it that aside from custom fitted ones the ER-20s would be a good place to start?
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have started to wear earplugs to the practices with my rock band. The music is not loud enough to cause ringing, but my ears feel "plugged" at the end of the night, and we practice for only about two hours.

I am currently using industrial -21dB ear plugs. The reusable rubber kind, not the foam kind.

I find I feel "disconnected" from the music. Will this go away as I get used to them, or will a different type of ear plugs help?
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Recently, I feel like my ears are taking big hits from the sound of (mainly the drums). I've ben thinking about ear plugs, but maybe I can just ask the drummer to not hit the snare too hard. He recently bought a new snare which is as loud as a snare can get. It's taking its toll on my ears. We only play funky jazz. Maybe I sit too close to the drummer. Those earplugs sound like a good idea.
  8. Yes to both, in my experience. I got used to the non-musician earplugs, but when I moved to the customs I felt much more connected to the music comared to the regular plugs. The feel of them is much nicer than foamies and the frequency response much better too (although I still find I lose more high end than low end during the attenuation).

Now I'm so used to wearing the musicians plugs that music seems weird *without* them in, including both playing and going to watch a show.
  9. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Yep, ER-20 - me, my band and fellow musicians around love it!! Thanks TB for a tip about year ago!! ;)

These plugs allow to mellow out the snare, cymbals, horns and yet preserve the tone and character of sounds. By slight pushing in or pulling out you can easily regulate the amount of attenuation. Pretty cool.
  10. Terike

May 15, 2005
    eh, I use silly putty.. $3.00 for 6 months worth of earplugs.
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Better ear plugs won't leave you feeling that disconnection or suffer from occlusion - that hallow type sound, like when you plug your ears with your fingers.

Good "one size fits all" like the ER-20's or $150 custom molds will reduce ALL frequencies and let you hear everything, just softer. I will be getting some soon.

No one should play/attend a gig/concert without them. Your hearing is too valuable and you can't get it back.
  12. i just started using ER-20's for my band

they are f'n great. the rest of my band just laugh how they are loosing their hearing.

i just shake my head at em and stick the er-20's in
  13. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yep i agree...these babies work better and i am getting used to them every practice...go get some...got mine at GC for 15.00.

14. I'm ordering mine today.
  15. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Coolest plugs in the world!
  16. I use cheap " hearos " or something like that , bought them at wall mart for 1.60 , they are for sport but do the job decently ,, Who wants to hear the guitars and cimbals anyway ?? :D
  17. Our church invested in an in-ear monitor system a while back, and got everybody headphones to go with it. The guitarists and vocalists all got some higher-end earplug type units, the drummer just uses his sony wraparounds (he's halfway deaf, anyway), and me, well, I got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's. I tell you what, -32dB passive noise reduction across the spectrum, plus the power of a personal monitor mixer, that's nice.:)
  18. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
  19. Robert TPB

Robert TPB ThePerfectBass.com

Dec 13, 2005
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I went to my E.N.T. Doctor and had some custom made ear plugs. They cost about $180 but they are cheap insurance against hearing loss. They come with a 15db attenuator and I use them at rehearsals and gigs. I highly reccomend the custom route.
  20. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Yay for ear plugs. I find that comparing the plugs out to the plugs in is rather like turning on your CD player at full blast and then turning it back down to a reasonable volume. Everything goes from being distorted and "washy" (likely due to over-agitating the hairs in the ear) to being crystal clear.

Yes, at first, I felt really disconnected from the music, but I've since adjusted, and I can still FEEL the pulse of the bass against my chest...

The only thing I don't like is when I move around and the plug seal dislodges... Usually they'll last a little over an hour before getting fussy.