Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earplugs....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 24, 2002.

1. No - A normal practice volume should not be loud enough to make earplugs necessary.

17 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Yes - practicing all out, and needing earplugs for practices is perfectly normal.

58 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. I have a question for all of you...
    Do you practice in a band setting at levels loud enough to necessitate earplugs?

Is it normal to be loud enough at practices that your voice cannot be heard over the music even when you are yelling?

Let me know your thoughts on how loud practices should be...guage it how you like...

2. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I vote yes unless you eventually want to hear that high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound all the time. It only took one really loud time to do me in. Earplugs, use em, love em...they are your friends! :D

3. GG,

Play it safe and wear some plugs. Chances are, unless you're playing all acoustic instruments (w/o drums) your probably playing loud enough to where hearing damage mayl occur over a period of time. My rule of thumb is, if I can't hear a person who's talking to me at normal levels from about 5 - 10 feet away, the music is likely loud enough to cause a problem. That's not scientific by any means - just my 2-cents.

X

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If it weren't for drummers, I suppose everyone could just turn it down a bit.
    That being said....

If its too loud, your too old.

And if you're 17 and naive like me, you're going to go deaf.

Peace
    Nick

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    A good drummer will be able to play at a nominal level with the same intensity as if he were banging it out. Bill Stewart and Brian Blade are prime examples.

As for the "too loud, too old" analogy... dang, it's great to be old at 21! We play music, and music requires good hearing. I've never understood why people don't want to protect that valuable asset. Without the ears, we're nothing! I still wear earplugs even in an acoustic jazz setting, but not if I can help it. Generally everyone is sensitive enough (even with amplifiers) to make things comfy.

But yeah..... earplugs rock.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I work with 8 brass players and 5 saxes. They can't "hold back" for rehearsals. And even at my quiet gigs I wear at least 9db of hearing protection. Custom plugs rule!

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Maybe if I were playing in a church band I won´t use earplugs, but in a rock band, drums by itself are loud enough to encourage you to use´em.

I´ve been using earplugs for more than 5 years, and now I can´t play without them, specially when your guitar player turns up that 100 W Line 6 amp, hahahaha :D :D

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've never used them,nor been in a band.But,how do you play the music and hear when youre supposed to play if you have earplugs on?

9. frankencow150

The earplugs are designed to block out anything over and above a certain frequency. You can hear the music just fine, but not as loud as without the plugs.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use them. Mike Dimin sells some very good very cheap ones.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The one's that I sell are made by the same company that makes Pacman's custom ones, Etymotic Research. These guys are the state of the art in hearing conservation and amplification. They make a "ready-fit" ear plug that I sell for $10.00 per pair.

They attenuate 20db and have a flat frequency response. It does take a bit to get used to but the advantages are worth it.

1. Our ears really are our most important tool, without them, give up music.

2. Loud noice causes stress. I noticed that after playing loud gigs, with plugs, I am much more able to function the next day without feeling "hung over". I asked a ENT about it, he told me that I was reducing the stress and therefore better able to function.

Mike

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    How do they sound compared to, say, HEAROS reusable plugs?

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The hearos are 30db of cut where the ER-20's are 20db. I do not know about the frequency response of the Hearos but the ER-20's is flat (as measured by Real Ear attenuation)

The real deal is that you can really hear much more of the band and the dynamics with the ER-20's

The ER-20's are more expensive but they should last at least a year with regular use.

Mike

14. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    HEAROS now has new HI-FI plugs

[​IMG]

The pic on their website looks identical to the ER-20's on the Etymotic site, but yours are cheaper!

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    They so look the same.

The adsvertise 12 db of attenuation and the package for the ER-20's says 12 db of attenuation. Legally they have to say that to take into account the people who where them incorrectly, don't insert them all the way, etc.

But the seem to be exactly the same, except mine are less expensive and you can choose the color you want if you order through me.

Mike

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I still don't understand why bands feel the need to practice at outrageous volume levels. It just doesn't make any sense to me. If you are playing a gig, you want some volume, but what's the point of cranking your amp up to 7 when you are practicing. :confused:

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I just got of the phone with ER. Hearos buys them and puts them in their own packaging. Same Ear plugs

Mike

18. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    How do those cheap earplugs at CVS and other drugstores compare to these ones?

19. Mike Dimin - Do you have them in a ski/flesh color...what colors do you carry? How much would shipping be and where are you sending from?

Thanks
    Graham

20. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    earplugs are essential, as a rule any noise sustained at or above 85 decibals will cause permanent damage overtime therfore it would be wise to wear earplugs in most band situations and also whilst doing other activities such as using powertools in order to keep your full hearing range and therefore continue to play bass to your full potential for many yrs to come. normal ear plugs i believe reduce the sound by about 29 db whihc is adequate and i find makes a huge difference but also still allows you to play normally.