1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ears and intervals

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by dodgy_ian, Aug 15, 2007.

1. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    hi guys,

since i've started playing double bass I've realised that I've never really focused on my ear training and as a result they're pretty poor. I've been doing some fairly intensive work this summer and making some good progress - anyway, heres my Q

I've been using songs to help me focus in on intervals, so for example Amazing Grace first two melody notes is a perfect 4th. I've manged to get a song/melody for all the ascending intervals, but I'm struggling to get a complete set for descending intervals. I've found it such a helpful tool for learning and internalising intervals thats I don't now need to really think about the related songs anymore...i'm still struggling on decsending though.

So for descending I've got

minor 2nd - ??
    major 2nd - 3 blind mice
    minor 3rd
    major 3rd - Swing Low Sweet Chariot
    perfect 4th - O Come All Ye Faithful (hymn)
    tritone -
    pefect 5th -
    minor 6th -
    major 6th -
    minor 7th -
    major 7th -
    Octave -

Can anybody help me fill in the blanks?

Thanks!

Ian

2. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    perfect! thank you very much!

still struggling on a few as I don't know the ones for the following intervals - anyone got any ideas?

tritone

major 6th

major 7th

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For major 6th I use the first two notes of My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean.
    For major 7th the first and third notes of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

4. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    Thanks DocBop - I actually meant descending rather than ascending - Ive got all the ascending ones to my satisfaction, its just these descending ones which are causing me some grief! :meh:

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry, then for a major 6th down the old spiritual Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen. Major 7th down I have no tunes.

6. For a major 7th down: I Love You (Cole Porter)

Nobody knows the trouble I've seen is a good one for a major 6th down. Another one just occurred to me, though--if you're a Mel Brooks fan, how about Springtime for Hitler?

7. Ascending tritone: 1st 2 notes in "Maria" from West Side story
    descending: Monk's Epistropy -- last two notes in 2nd phrase. There must be a less obscure one than that but that one you can't miss.

Edit: I just checked that link. They stole my suggestion! YYZ is a pretty good one too I guess.
    Ha! I was going to suggest the Star Trek theme too. Still got that on the brain after seeing a young Teri Garr on it the other day.

8. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    minor 2nd - JAWS!

9. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    perfect 5th - twinkle twinkle little star
    minor 7th - somewhere over the rainbow

i just took a class on this. i had a whole sheet of numerous songs for each. i would look it up but im at work.

10. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    o and if i remember correctly a minor sixth would be the NBC tune. it may be a major sixth. im a little rusty.

11. thought of that one too. NBC = MAJOR

12. noelito

noelito

Jan 29, 2007
    the first two notes of over the rainbow are an ascending octave not a minor 7th. intervals are between two consecutive notes!!
    descending minor 7th--- watermelon man
    descending octave----willow weep for me
    descending major 6th--- crazy(patsy cline)
    descending minor 6th-----love story( where do i begin)
    descending perfect5th----it don't mean a thing( if it ain't got that swing)
    descending major 3rd -----summertime
    descending minor 3rd----- misty
    descending minor 2nd---- mood indigo
    okay?

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    See how much easier this is than sitting down at a piano and playing intervals? What a concept...:bag:

14. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I think "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" should be an octave am I lost?

15. correct. an earlier poster pointed that out. one post said the FIRST and THIRD notes make a major 7th, which is true, but we're really looking for consecutive notes. another poster said MINOR 7th. it's an octave.

16. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    O.K. and yeah maj7 after the octave cool. Just makin' sure thanks :)

17. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    Descending minor 2nd - first two notes of Beethoven's "Fur Elise"

18. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    cheeky! you may have slightly missed the point! Its just a way of remembering/recognising intervals quicly and accurartely when theres no piano or other instrument avaliable....:)

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sure, I get it. But when you have to think of a certain specific two-note segment of a specific song every time you want to hear an interval... I dunno, seems more efficient to just learn the sound in your head seated at a keyboard, or even at the "virtual bass fingerboard" most of us have built into our consciousness. Add one or two more voices, and all of a sudden you start developing chord knowledge.

Hey, it wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of listening to the little voices in my head! :smug:

I do understand your point, though. And anything that gets people singing tunes is good... I wish I'd done more of it in my studies. A couple of days ago, I started doing some interval training with a student, and my regular home keyboard was not working, so I borrowed my daughter's little mini-Casio board (el-cheapo, Kmart). It got the job done pretty well! I think my student must have thought I was a little bit nuts....quite possible....