1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ears

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Steve S, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Last Saturday, I received my new five string after years of playing a four. I had heard that it would take awhile to adjust to the low B but surprisingly, it wasn't difficult at all.

That evening, I had to do a gig with a jazz trio and took only the five. It was very easy to play and I found it easier than my four string Jazz. It seemed like the bass played itself and I was only there to hold it.

My question on technique, most of the songs that the trio performed I had never heard before yet I hit the correct notes constantly and my fingers played much faster because of the roundwound DR's. I have Tomastik flats on the Jazz which have a much lower tension. My fingers seemed to just bounch off the strings.

Have I reached a certain level of playing?

I didn't think about it much in the course of the evening but the next day, thought that I played exceptionally well for having a new bass with an extra string and playing songs that were new for me. I never looked at the fretboard either, probably because the extra string made it look very wide and intimidating.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Steve - This is all just my take on it, not info. from a reputable instructor.

Hitting the correct notes - I think that's just experience/familiarity with the basic instrument, grabbing licks off of recordings many times (orientation to the fretboard), and a good ear. After many years of playing, I still surprise myself weekly when sitting with a bass watching TV. Some song or ad jingle comes on, and I pick it out on the first try, (or close to the original). It wasn't always this way. In about my first 5 years of playing, many bass lines were often mysteries to me.

As for the strings, some makes/models just seem to "fit" better with particular basses, in terms of action/tension. I use DR's, too, ("Marcus" a.k.a. Fat Beams), and they just seem to be a natural on my Precis and Precis-style bodies with a 34" scales, and headstock designs.

If anything, going to 5 made my playing easier, playing across the neck instead of vertically, (it messed up slapping big time for a while). But for fingerstyle, I don't see more-than-4 as any added difficulty once you're over the initial adjustment.

Glad things are working out for you.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Rickbass1,

Yes, it's working out very well. Thanks for the comments!