Earth buzz from my bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by largo, Jul 2, 2005.

1. largo

Nov 19, 2004
    I am the proud owner of a Sei Jazz 5 string with an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and Kent Armstrong Jazz pickups.

Anyway, everythings been great for the last 6 months, since I bought the bass new but in the last 2-3 weeks I've noticed an earth, or mains buzz from my bass.

Tried new batteries, lead and even DI'ed the bass straight to the PA and so I know it's definitely the bass !

The usual happens, if I touch the strings the buzz goes away.
    I have noticed that if I touch each of the pots then the buzz goes away EXCEPT for the blend pot.

Am I right in guessing that the problem must lie with earthing on the blend pot ?

And, how do I fix it.

All help greatfully appreciated. Cheers.

2. this is a problem inherant in jazz basses. get used to it or change the pick ups for the noiseless variety used in the latest american deluxe jazz basses, or just buy one! :bassist: i have a squier jazz that iv'e been using for years and i love it! but then i got used to turning the tone down to get rid of the buzz! you could try a noise gate, but i find them irritating. old school dude, you can't hear it when your playing anyhooo!!!
  3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Q: is this happening with both p/u's equally on (i.e. the blend pot is centered on the indent?) If one or the other p/u is running solo, is this the blend configuration you were previously using when things were quiet?

If both p/u's are at equal volume you may also be experiencing the loss of ground to your bridge. If you're inclined to take things apart (and put them back together again!), you might want to reseat the ground wire under your bridge next time you change strings.

And you could always upgrade your cavity shielding (body cavity and p/u cavities) to copper foil if it currently is not shielded.

4. If the problem just appeared recently and wasn't there before, and everything but the blend pot seems to make the noise disappear when you touch it, then it looks like the blend pot is either damaged or a ground connection to it has become undone.