1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

earth sound research 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thestarrysky, Aug 22, 2012.

1. thestarrysky

thestarrysky

Aug 22, 2012
    so i bought this cab from a pawn shop its 2 15s stacked vertically and i was having some trouble with one of the speakers buzzing when i plugged it into my 100 watt acoustic combo bass amp i would also get horrible tone out of the amp and the cab and for somereason my top speaker was buzzing very bad thinkig it might have been blown i took the cab apart only to see that one the wiring job was done horribly now i know its an old cab but this looked like it might have been messed with in the past i also noticed that the speakers are two different types im not sure what to think of this they dont even say what they are rated for i was hoping someone could help me out maybe recommend what speakers i can get or what i cn do to help improve tonality

Attached Files:

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Obviously the Peavey, if it really is a Peavey, is not an original speaker. When at least one speaker has been changed, very common to see butcher jobs on lots of things. First, based on the somewhat blurry numbers that I can make out on the speakers, they both appear to have been made by Emminence. Numbers 67-7813 indicate Emminence made the 13th week of 1978. Numbers 67-7345 indicate Emminence made 45th week of 1973. That said, most on here will tell you to do the measurements and whether ported or not, and use the Winsed(?) program for the best speakers. On the other hand, some just go on similar cabs and known good speakers. You'll probably need to post more pics, maybe google the brand for additional help. Then make sure connections and wiring are correct.

Is that a tuck & roll covering I see? :cool:

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The one with the alnico magnet might be a guitar speaker.

You really need 2 of the same speaker in there to work right. If you want to get it going on the cheap, those square magnet peaveys still pop up from time to time. They're found in some 70's combos and 215 cabs from before they made black widows. They have a nice tone to them but are all done by about 50 watts. And you can find them cheap. They would work alright with your 100 watt amp, but will distort with anything much bigger.

You can go from there up to modifying it with all kinds of expensive stuff, your choice.

Please break up your writing into at least sentences if not paragraphs. I know you're on a phone, so am I. It's makes it much easier to understand.

If it's tuck-n-roll and the box is in sturdy shape, it'd be cool to fix it up into something giggable.

4. thestarrysky

thestarrysky

Aug 22, 2012
    sorry about that its my first time asctually typing on a blog

anyways i was just curious if these peavy speakers were the originals being as i cant find any information about the amp

im thinking i want to get some celestons rated to about 250 wats and run my 210 watt peavy guitar amp as a bass rig being as i can get some ridiculous tone and some punchy distortion

im definitly trying to get a performance rig together tho

as fr the square agnet i think its blown i cant get much tone from it without only that speaker buzzing

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    This site: http://www.plush-amps.com/ has a bit of speaker info I've quoted below:

(PS: Many Earth & Plush models were the same, but simply re-named)

(quote)
    Q5: What kind of speakers are in my Plush speaker cabinet?

A: Plush never made its own speakers; instead, Plush used several speaker makes in its cabinets. The ones that the literature suggests were CTS, Emminence, JBL, Electro-Tech, and Electro-Voice (EV).

If the speakers in your Plush cabinet or combo are not one of the manufacturers mentioned above, they are most probably not the cab's or combo's original speakers.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The peavey labeled drivee was made by eminence for peavey. It's not original to the cab but might be the same or similair to an eminence branded driver that was. The alnico is an eminence. That's the one you say works?

It'll be hard to tell how it really sounds paired up with the blown one, or with a giant hole in the cab where the blown one was. Don't turn up very much and damage it. The blown driver and/or the hole in the cab will throw everything off and let that one good driver move way too far and kill it.

7. kane612

kane612

Feb 12, 2011
    mn
    Thought I would resurrect this thread......

I have this same Earth 2x15" cab (model G25 or B25, 4ohm) with the Eminence (?) speakers as shown in the photo above, but one of them doesn't work (not even a buzz). Although I know next to nothing about this sort of thing, it appears that the speakers are wired in series, so I don't know what the problem could be with the speaker (I would think it should make at least some noise).
    Anyhow, I would like to put new speakers in this cab. Whether Earth or Plush, these came with a wide variety of speakers, so I'm not sure what speaker to go with. What would you put in this cab and why? Would a pair of Faitals be overkill? Is the non-functioning Eminence worth fixing if possible?
    Interested to hear some opinions on this. Thanks.

8. If it is a solid, sealed cab, there is some degree of leaway as to what can work.
    I would look for a pair of one the brands that they used, maybe JBL or EV.
    At least then you have a known quantity, that should be, at least fairly decent.

Bassmec likes this.
  9. kane612

kane612

Feb 12, 2011
    mn
    So perhaps I should ask.......
    What do people like in their sealed 2x15" cabs and why do they like them? Any new speaker choices for this application or am I doomed to scour ebay for vintage speakers?

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well for new drivers a pair of Fital PR400's wouldn't suck.:)
    Old drivers to look out for are the jbl, altec and electro voice usual suspects.. EV15l can work well in a sealed cab like that, if you like a lot of punchy mid bass in your tone.:)

11. Slap some Eminence Beta 15As in there. That's the closest thing available new to what was in there originally, and will work fine.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

12. kane612

kane612

Feb 12, 2011
    mn
    Do the Faitals work in sealed cabs? I would lean towards the Kappalite 3015's but I read that those don't work in sealed cabs.

I think I would choose the Eminence Deltas over the Betas, so perhaps those or a vintage pair would be appropriate......but I would really like something that can take some more abuse, and is closer to full-range with a flatter response. Does anyone have a recommendation designed for sealed cabs that is comparable to a Kappalite (or a Faital)?