1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Earth Super Bass B1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rwm8088, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Rwm8088

Rwm8088

Nov 17, 2006
    Florida
    Well, I forgot (for a while) about my project tuber... building a tube head and using the chassis from an old Earth Super Bass B1000 100 watt head. I can't find anything on these old amps, I guess they weren't that great. I'm leaving the output section alone, except for a HAmmond 120 watt O.T. and using 6550s instead of 6L6s, and completely rebuilding the input section... complete with bar-type eye-tube level indicator just 'cause I have the tube sitting in a parts box doing a whole lotta nothing.

I was using a power transformer from an old Lowrey organ, but was considering going back to the original power transformer, as the rectifier tube now overheats and I think the bias tap is blown.
    I need to find some sort of info on this old Earth head, just so I have a starting point for how they performed, and if the old electronics can handle the beefier 6550s. Has anybody had any experience with these things, or were they around for such a short period that nobody bought one before the company folded?

2. i just sold mine a couple of weeks ago... i know next to nothing about but it sounded great...

i sold it to firehouse guitars in grandville, MI... they are selling it for 200 if they still have it (incase you are interested in more parts)

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
  5. Rwm8088

Rwm8088

Nov 17, 2006
    Florida
    wow... Thanks guys, y'all just provideed me with more info than I found when I was trying to reserch the damn thing before I got it off Ebay 3 years ago for 41 bucks.

It came with 6 new Blues Tubes 6l6GCs, (4 installed, 2 extra) and the input section was completely ripped out, except for the pots, and tube sockets. It didn't come with a case for the chassis, but I can tell from the pics of the B2000 that it was nothing like the B2000. The front panel was black, sloped slightly, and only had EQs for one channel, although it did have 2 inputs.
    I'm thinking about trying to find another one, just cause I like to buy oddities, and use them (I use a Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 50 watt as a practice amp) just cause nobody else does (around here anyway).
    I bought the chassis with the intention of adding all kinds of crap to it, (including a 6-band, all tube EQ and built-in fuzz) making the tube count 8 12AX7s, 2 12AU7s, and 4 6550s, and maybe a tube rectifier but probly not, and this thing had plenty of room onboard for it all. WHoever gutted it left the output section alone, and the caps all seem to be decent quality, that'll probly be left alone, except for the re-biasing.
    It's been sitting on a a desk at my mother's house for the last couple years, and I got to thinking about all the money i spent on the matched Svetlana 6550 tubes for it, and decided it was time to get 'er going.

From the few reviews, it looks like they were pretty clean sounding, even at high volumes, and I do want a bit of a light fuzz at wide open, but if I get the thing going with everything I want in it, I guess I can't be too picky.

K2000, thanks for the link to that site, I ran across it a (long) while back, but I swear I don't remember the ESR section being there... I just checked the PayPal reciept, and the item description was for a B-1000. I remember that being on the amp's back plate before I removed it, and still have the front and back plates somewhere, with the model number. I'm pretty sure it's a 1000 tho. Looking at the schematic of the 2000, this one didn't, and never did by the looks of it, have the the 3rd 7025 preamp tube socket installed, even tho there's a punch-out for it. It doesn't have the same output jacks, either, just the speaker cab outs. The rest of the output section is exactly the same, from what I remember of it.

THanks again, hopefully by the new year I'll have it going, and can give my Peavey Trans-Tube Supreme away as a christmas present.

6. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    If they are the original Mallory caps, they are over 30 years old and should be replaced before you power it up. Also I believe the B1000 is the same as the B2000 except the latter is a 2 channel amp with a recording output stage. So yours was two 7025 tubes short of a B2000. I have a Plush 1060s which is almost identical to the Earth B2000. I just completed rebuilding it and I'm about to re-tube. It's a great sounding amp.

John

7. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I gigged a Plush 1060 very heavily in the late 70's, with a matching cabinet. Mine had CTS speakers and the whole package was very reliable. In five or six years of use, I replaced the 6L6's once. I liked the tone stack - basically a Fender rip-off. They were considered Kustom clones, but that's a mistake. The Kustoms were solid state. I liked mine alot; sounded just like a Fender Bassman, yet looked great on stage and were significantly less expensive.

Traded it in on a Sunn 880 rig when I started playing bigger gigs. Never liked the Sunn, but it sure was loud.

Knowing what I know now, the only thing I'd change is to beef up the power supply to take advantage of 6550 tubes and have a better output transformer wound. Hmmm, Fender tube preamp + decent tube power amp?

8. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    My Plush 1060s came with (3) ElectroVoice SRO-15's which I'm still using.

John

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you go the 6550 route, you'll probably want to add a filament transformer...the heaters for 6550s draw twice as much current as those on 6L6s.

You could do the math and see if the current draw of the existing preamp + 6L6 heaters is close to that of four 6550s. If it is, then you could add a DC heater supply for the preamp tubes to reduce hum.

My memories of Earth are basically that they copied everybody...Plush for tube amps (which as was written were essentially Fenders) and they had a like of solid state amps that looked identical to the '70s era Peaveys.

10. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
  11. Rwm8088

Rwm8088

Nov 17, 2006
    Florida
    THey do look a lot like the Kustom amps, the tuck 'n roll and all.
    THinking back, I had the preamp section choices narrowed down to the Fender and Sunn preamp sections, but for whatever reason, copied a HiWatt head preamp, but I don't remember what model. Tone-wise I guess it wouldn't matter a whole lot, if I add the graphic EQ... might just add a send-and-return for an external EQ, but i like the idea of a tube EQ built-in. THe idea came from a Blonder-Tongue EQ I saw on Ebay about the same time I bought the B1000 (or what was left of it).

A power supply is another issue, If I use the transformer from the Lowrey organ, I know it has enough guts to light the 6550s, and all the little 12Ax7 tubes. THe organ had 2 6L6s in the output section, a 12AX7 phase inverter but had 9 oscillators (if I remember correctly, I was about 14 when I parted out the organ, 10 years ago) and 3 tubes per oscillator. The thing generated a massive amount of heat, and tended to pop breakers when we had the TV on at the same time. The problem with that scenario is there is definately a blown tap somewhere in the transformer. So, as long as I'm transformer shopping...

Gonna get a Hammond 120 watt output transformer. That on its own is going to make the thing heavy. Might just take power transformers, filter caps, and just put it all in an external enclosure and stick an octal plug on the back of the amp, running it to the power supply.

As for building it as a B2000, I do like the idea of the recording output, and I guess that would basically be a pre-amp out. THat way, if I need more power, I can just dump a PA amp behind it, put a resistor across the outputs, at the sacrifice of the tube output sound.

THere's room to play with it though. It might just end up a B2000 with an external EQ and power supply. My curent rig already looks strange, so none of my bandmates, or other band members that know me, would look twice at a big vented metal box attatched to the amp by a cable as thick as a garden hose... they'd probly just assume I'd attatched some sort of thermonuclear device to my rig.
    I can just hear it now... "Um... shouldn't you keep a geiger counter in your gig bag with that?" Or "This is Florida, you don't need a space heater on stage." Or maybe just a few murmurs of "If that thing starts to glow green during their set, run." But if it works, and sounds great, I don't care how it all looks. That's secondary.

12. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
  13. Rwm8088

Rwm8088

Nov 17, 2006
    Florida
    THat's a bit of interesting inside info there... I remember one of the Peavey people coming through our club back in '02, when our former sound guy was trying to talk them into some sort of sponsorship, as we were using the same Peavey speaker cabinets that were installed in 1978. THe place was remodeled in '78, for the first time since it was built in '65. THe Peavey rep was inspecting our amp rack and had some rather nasty things to say about the QSCs we were running. It suprises me they decided to change their circuit designs rather than sue Earth. Everybody I've had the privilage of dealing with from Peavey seemed like complete asses to me. Our sound guy was kinda pissed about the whole thing and the guy's attitude, which just got worse when the club owner decided he was going to get an attitude. It all ended with the Peavey rep storming out. We bought 3 used PEavey amps from another club that closed down, a CS400, a CS800, both of which we ran to the horn tweeters only. We also bought a PV1200 for the bass section, but ended up sticking with the QSCs.

I do have way too much time on my hands... my day job gives me time to reserch, plan, and draw out PC board designs, my nights off are when I build, modify, and test things. The night job, at the club before we open is when I really test things before trying to gig them. During the winter, before christmas is the toughest time to get a gig around here, so now is my chance to get some projects done. I'm not the only one either, the one chain-owned music store here has been moving parts and speakers like mad. It seems everybody is rebuilding or modifying their stuff now, according to the in-house Peavey-Authorized repair tech (who is the former sound guy from the club). It's probly just people buying a bunch of stuff for christmas presents tho. THe guys at this store are all tube freaks, and they really try to push the tube stuff, which I think is kinda neat.

14. idiotloser

idiotloser

Apr 17, 2017

earth b-1000 super bass schematic, posting because I couldn't find anywhere else

deathness likes this.
  15. Hey, @idiotloser, did you happen to notice that this thread is 11 years old?

Just sayin'..............!

16. idiotloser

idiotloser

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes but I come to talkbass all the time for information like this and wanted to share the shematic somewhere where it could be found in the future!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  17. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    A very cool looking rig in the day. I'd love to have one now - so if you know about one, I'm interested. :thumbsup: