Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earth wind and fire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flaghard, Oct 24, 2004.

1. flaghard

flaghard

Oct 17, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    From the people that even care to read this, any of you know what kind of bass the guy from earth wind and fire uses? im guessing just a 70's fender jazz, but im too lazy to dig through my dads old record collection and fint out :confused:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Verdine started out with a Telecaster from the 60's, This bass was on the 1st couple of albums (Earth Wind And Fire, Last day's and Time). He later switched to a jazz bass in which some of his best work can be heard on The live two record set. A must have for any EWF fan. He later started to use other things but by that time it wasn't about the music any more but about theatrics.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    When I saw them a few months back he was using a Yamaha signature model I believe.... :bassist:

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Is the telecaster a p-bass? Or is it just the telecaster body with J p/u's?

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i seem to remember he played a Peavey Rudy Sarzo for a while- and i think i saw him with a bass that looked a bit like an Ibanez
    regardless.. he is one of the greats.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No, the Telecaster was a Telecaster (same body as the Sting bass, 51 or 54R.I.). Made in the 60's with the one humbucker pup. Early recordings with this bass include- power, evil, keep your head to the sky.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In the mid to late '90's he had an Ibanez signature model, but he did start out with a T Bass, and then moved on to a Jazz.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Ibanez Verdine White:

9. ksukev

ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Verdine is also a proud fellow Sadowsky player...

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Enough said.

"The mighty fine electronics coupled with the custom design and the choice wood selection has catapulted this new Sadowsky bass to the top of my arsenal.
    Thank you, Roger! It was a long time coming."

— VERDINE WHITE

Verdine White, bassist for Earth Wind & Fire receiving his new Sadowsky P/J 4-string at rehearsal for EW&F's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at SIR, NYC, March 16, 2000. Pictured with Verdine is his ace bass tech, Andrè O'Neal.

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I just showed my mom the Sadowsky pic, since recently seen them at Fox theatre here in Bakersfield, and she said that was it. Ever since I got into bass, I hound her to pay attention to the bassists' bass whenever she goes to a show (She sees Tower of Power/ EW&F, 70's/80's bands whenever they're in California).

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I can recall seeing him using a neckthrough yamaha trb-4.

13. I think that was the main axe through most of the 90's. I saw him live twice...and both times, that was the one.

14. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Guitars, Bass Amps & Pro Audio
    I had the pleasure of meeting Verdine a few times backstage at EWF shows and he told me that he has the Sadowsky preamp in all of his basses!

Also, check out the EWF Live in Rio CD. His J-Bass tone is KILLIN'! Very up front in the mix.

Carl

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never seen the TRB, but I have seen the amber colored Ibanez neck thru 4.

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    He used a white Yamaha Motion Bass for awhile in the late 80's...custom gold hardware. Pearl white. Tiny little headstock. 32" scale. I remember the Peavey as well...

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's one of these sitting at a local pawnshop. It's been there for months.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - the answer is Fender,Ibanez,Yamaha, Sadowsky and maybe more!! Enough to convince anybody that the sound is with the player and not the bass...? ;)

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What sound?

:meh:

I've been a Verdine fan since practically day one. I'll just say that over the last few years I've been far from impressed. Is "bass-synching" an actual term?

:bag:

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you know, Brad. I have a friend who recently saw EWF and said the same thing.. he could hear the bass even when Verdine was not playing it visibly with his hands...
    that is not to say that Verdine can play his azz off... but what gives?
    i also have two friends that played with EWF recently.. maybe i can ask..