Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

earth wind fire - gratitude

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the mack, Apr 7, 2001.

1. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    i grew up with ewf and my parents had this album back in the days....i decided to buy the cd...for those who aren't familar with this recording it was recorded live back in 1977 (i think)...anyway...verdine white can play his @!# off ! he's relentless...and the tone on his fender jazz bass is awesome! if you like r&b/funk get this cd.

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
  3. yes....ON the album "all n' all", he displays so much style and feel...Its great

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Verdine is in my top 5. He is so underated!
    he should win the best bass player award!
    I'm a big EW&F fan, because of him.

5. the mack

the mack

Mar 20, 2000
    i think verdine may be underrated (not by me) because he doesn't slap....however, his riffs are so complex and involved yet not overbearing...i saw a video of him playing and his left hand looked like a giant spider walking up and down the neck of his bass!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Verdine is not underrated... he's forgotten.

He doesn't do tricks, play a million notes a second, do long solos or any of the other stuff that some bassists become enamored with.

What he does, and has done for over thirty years is lay down perfect, instantly identifiable lines to music that defied categorization. Oh yeah, all while singing and dancing like a madman for the entire show.

Who could have filled Verdine's spot during EWF's "Gratitude" period? I can't think of anyone who had the entire package. Can you?

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    of course I could!
    no problem!
    :D
    kidding

I would have a heart attack before the end of the show. :)

What you describe as Verdine " lay down perfect, instantly identifiable lines to music that defied categorization

is my defenition of the perfect bass player.
    I couldn't care less with tapping, slapping, 32th note ect...
    He and Tony Levin are amazing at keeping a very good groove.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...Jaco? ;)

It is weird that Verdine has become "forgotten".
    Without a doubt, he is a superb player/musician...I'm not sure, but I think it may have been Verdine that got me into approaching chords/the changes chromatically("That's The Way Of The World", "Saturday Night", "Can't Hide Love", etc).
    Listen to his interpretation of The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life"...totally bad!