Earth, Wind & Fire's "Gratitutde"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RyanHelms, Sep 28, 2004.

1. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Oh man! Just out of the blue, my wife put Earth, Wind, and Fire's 1975 double live LP "Gratitude" on the record player tonight (yeah baby...the record player, that is.....) which I haven't heard in a looooong time. The first 2 sides play through, grooving hard. Then, second song side 3 "New World Symphony" comes on and gets around to this deep pocket, one chord jam where everybody takes their solos. I'm getting into it, and suddenly, Verdine White goes off the hook! He's playing the tightest figures, two, maybe three times apiece, then ends up all over the map. I had to listen to it again. Just the bass solo, though ;) There's one guy who can play the pocket *and* step out with serious flow. And that's one live album that should be in every bassist's collection! Tight, tight, tight.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's one of my faves!
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree!
    A lot of people are only familiar with EW&F's David Foster daze(Pop/slick) & the present day offering(blah).
    EW&F, being from Chicago, were definitely influenced by that city's Avant Jazz scene.
    That's where you get the 1-chord jams with guys going off the hook. ;)
    A couple of their early records have some long instrumental pieces; everything wasn't the 3:00 radio-friendly fare.

I would stay far, far away from EW&F's In Concert DVD from '81.
  4. I saw them live a few years back and let me say, they great such energy. When i got to that concert , i had a headache from pushing my way into the outdoor arena, then when i heard the opening to 'lets groove' Everyone, and I mean everyone, starting grooving , Verdine was going beserk dancing like a fool , and yet pulling off the funkiest grooves ive ever heard. Every song was just like a blast of sonic pleasure , it was amazing, probaly among the top ten concerts ive ever been to.
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have that LP! great live performance. Verdine is indeed a great groover.