Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earth, Wind, & Fire's new CD.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, I was pleasantly surprised! I thought this was going to be just some subpar cd from an old school group, but I was wrong. If you get a chance, check it out. It's called "Illumination". Raphael Sadiq plays bass on 2 songs. Especially check out track #5.

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Chuck -

I have to agree although it's not "Classic" EWF.

The best "pure" EWF song they've made recently was "Gather Round," which appeared on the "Sounds of the Season" CD. Uptempo, "Feel-good" lyrics, Jerry Hey horn arrangements -- Classic late '70's/early 80's EWF.

3. i love EWF thier new cd is alright but as IotaNet said, its not classic EWF. Also Woodchuck, i want the El Pus cd, where can I find it?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hey Woodchuck, not to put a damper on Raphael Saadiq's bass playin' but doesn't the stuff he played on that cd sound like a repeated sample? I hear a lot of folks chat him up but curiously, I don't think I've heard any of his playing where he plays a song 'all the way through'! Maybe it's just me!?!

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    He's a producer, so you never know, he may cut a few corners to save time and money but do not be decieved, I've seen this man live and he can play a pretty wicked bass bro. I'n fact I saw him back in the Tony, Toni, Tone' days when he had'nt switched to guitar so much and was the lead vocalist. If you want to hear his full bass playing skills, get his two solo CD's, pure bass heaven.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    From what I can tell, he seems to have Protooled the song and added some wicked overdubs, but he IS a bad mofo on the plank!

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez, is he really 'that good'?? I have his cd's and the Lucy Pearl cd but all I hear are pretty good loops! I swear I'm gonna be skeptical to the day I see and hear him play live! LOL!!