Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earthquake Automagic Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've had experience looking at them and saying "ooh, I'd like one"

Does that count? ;)

but seriously, I'd love to hear about this one too.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup, a very cool wah indeed. I've only used mine a couple times, but one thing I like is that you can select a mode (forget which one, off the top) where the wet/wah sound is blended with the dry, preserving the low end even as you sweep towards the high end. I often don't like it when a pedal does this, but it works well for the Earthquake. The variable sweep ranges are well-suited for bass.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I started a thread about these quite a while back, asking the same thing as you, Jazz Ad. One of our German members, I believe it was JMX, had some insight about it. Might want to look for that one.

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I owned one for about a year. It was a great sounding wah, the blended effect was especially nice. Probably the best sounding bass wah I've ever heard. I sold it when I saw how much they were going for used. Made some money on it and bought a Crybaby that sounds almost as good for half the price. (I don't use wah ever in band situations.) Maybe I should start.

Anyways, the pedal is great sounding, is true bypass, and has a pressure activated switch (meaning when you step on it, it engages.) Great effect!!

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just to expand on my earlier post, and in response to several PMs asking for more detail, I'll echo several of the same sentiments as jja412.

The pressure-activated switch is very cool, and the only example of this I've ever seen. Basically, unlike the Crybaby's "auto-on" (the 105Q is spring-loaded and begins to 'wah' once the pedal travel reaches a certain point), you (can) turn the Earthquake 'on' by stepping on the plate, i.e. actually putting a little weight on the pedal itself. That starts the wah going (you can also start it just by stepping on the switch, just like a traditional wah, if you prefer).

A couple nice benefits about this 'dual-starter' approach are that (i) since it's not spring-loaded, you can leave the plate half-way down in the 'off' position, then step on the switch to immediately get a nasal, mid-rangy tone (good for solos), and (ii) the pressure-activated switching is instantaneous, both on and off, much faster than the Crybaby.

The blended dry and wet sound works well, there's an internal trim pot where you can adust the mix, but so far I haven't experimented with anything other than the stock ratio. The construction is exactly as it looks: i.e. bullet-proof. Maybe even a little too big for some folks with space-constrainted pedal boards...if I recall, the length is a little shorter than the Crybaby, and it's about an inch wider. A little heavier, though not much.

It also has a secondary (parallel) output, I haven't figured out a use for that yet. Let's see...what else... as I mentioned before, the sweep ranges are well-chosen, and it's nice to have the choice of several, so far I prefer the '2' setting, as I prefer not to dip too much into the deep-bass freqs (the '1' setting starts at something like 40Hz, while the '2' setting starts at around 90 Hz, the '3' setting starts and ends highest of them all).

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i liked the morley PBA-2 (when i had one, damn you thief, wherever you are!!), but i found the auto-on very annoying, because there was always a noticable difference in volume, and sometimes the funk wah switch made a very loud "CRACK" through the speakers!

where can i pick up one of these bad boys??

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's it. I'm getting one.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I love my v-wah but now I got more gas...

my one bugbear with the v-wah is that the on/off isn't the easiest, so I'd leave it on and keep it in it's own loooper loop which I'd just bring in/out of the chain.

10. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    anyone got samples?

11. Don't they sell those for like $300 at musiciansfriend?