Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earthquake in Seattle

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by alembicbones, Feb 28, 2001.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    We just had an Earthquake, I'm at work, and my basses are on stands at home.

I hope they're ok.

Bones

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Don't worry Bones,
    I just found them in my back yard!!!
    I'm in Illinois by the way.
    Hope everybody out there is ok.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I hope my son is ok. He attends Roosevelt High School which is a hundred years old.

My wife is scared and wants me to come home. Said the cat completely wigged out.

Too bad it didn't hit last nite when people were going berserk in Pioneer Square. Might have calmed down everyone..

4. I just saw that on the idiot box, I hope you are all ok out there......Here in PA we only get ice and snow, no earthquakes thank god.....

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, yeah, i hope you guys are alright.

i need to watch the news more.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    It's a scary feeling when an earthquake hits. When a hugh building begins to roll and shake and tiles start falling down, it takes away all sense of security.

The schools seem to be fine. The wobbly feeling in the legs don't go away quickly....

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The good news is that, because it was a deep (30 miles) subduction-zone event, you will have relatively few aftershocks. Down here in SoCal, something that size will have a bunch of magnitude 4 and 5 aftershocks in the first few days after the event.

The bad news is that there is a slightly elevated probability that there will be a comparable or even larger earthquake there within the next 48 hours.

I do this for a living, by the way (seismology and earthquake engineering).

8. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    >> I do this for a living, by the way (seismology and earthquake engineering). <<

Munji,

Very cool! I've always had a kind of fascination with plate tektonics and seismology, though my knowledge doesn't go past 101 level college courses. Fascinating stuff, though.

What was the magnitude of the one they just had in India a couple weeks ago?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Makes sense for a bassist. You study `em and MAKE `em! :D

10. I hope all the beautiful basses in Bass NW are OK!
    BTW, I was playing my bass during the quake. I let my hands off the strings and the quake played it for me. It was cool. I wish I could have recorded it.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My sympathies to you all in the Seattle area. I went through several earthquakes in the Phillippines and in South America, so I know how terrifying an event they are.

JO

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Must be OK, CROZ. They sent me an e-mail telling me how much money I should include for shipping with my order today. :eek:

13. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    Did you basses make it out alright?

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    In a lot of the newsclips, Bass Norwest is pictured because it is in the middle of Pioneer Square where a lot of the damage occurred. It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in Seattle so many of the buildings are brittle.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Luckily, Bass NW is ok, save for a couple damaged instruments. Theyre lucky they got off so easy being in such an old old part of town.

BTW, the earthquake in India was a 7.9, i believe. But they had so much death due to differences in building construction, etc. Adobe and clay dont make for great protection, even when it falls on you!