1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Earthquake in the UK

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blonde Bassist, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Did anyone else feel the earthquake in the UK last night? 00:56 i think they've said, and MAG 5.3 I believe has been the highest recorded magnitude. Epicentre was Lincolnshire, and was at a depth of about 10 miles. I felt it in Manchester, and others seem to have felt it spreading quite far across the country. Largest one for about 25 years or so, centainly the largest I've felt (baring in mind there are no significant fault lines around the UK, there are small ones, but we're no where near the edge of a plate so there are no big ones).

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Nothing here - I heard a parrot fell off its perch...:eyebrow:

3. my Bro-in-law in north bucks noticed it, it got everything in his 'cupboard of interesting curios' rattling.

The effects didn't seem to make it this far south though.

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    There are no fault lines anywhere near the American midwest. Yet four years ago, the shelving here in my office were swaying and my monitor was nodding at me. A 4.6 hit down in Ohio.

There are such things as magma cracking through plates, forming new holes in the crust to begin creating volcanoes.

My Liverpool friend Nick said he's been looking for an excuse to come back to America. And joining Atlantis was his excuse of getting off his island! We had a good chuckle.

5. wms

wms

Apr 2, 2007
    Notts, UK
    Felt it at about 12.56 here in Nottingham.

No major damage, tho` a couple of ornaments moved on shelves.

Was a weird feeling.

6. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    In California we don't get out of bed for less than a 6.0. :D

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I had an early night last night so I was well asleep by then...which is unusual for me!

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Anything less than a 7.0 is just feels like a wobbly shoe night

9. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I was in bed at the time and got woken up by it! Very wierd experience, having never experienced one of this size in my life. I believe we had a small one several years ago at around 3/4 on the richter scale.

The epicentre is only about 30miles north from my place.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    My grandparents live outside Manchester, and they IMed me to tell about it.
    I would have slept through Northridge had my parents not pulled me out of bed.

(I'm from Mission Viejo/El Toro, BTW.)

11. Never felt a thing, but ive probably farted harder than that :p

12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Just because you're in the middle of a plate doesn't mean there aren't any faults.

13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    And yet the biggest recorded earthquake on the continental US was the New Madrid quake of 1812 in what is now Missouri.

14. No doubt. We had a 6.0 here last week while I was at work (UT - NV border). It pretty much played out like:

(rumbling, building and building contents shake)

Someone in an office down the hall: "Was that an earthquake?"

Someone else: "Yeah."

First guy: "Oh. OK."

-fin

15. Joesick

Joesick

Jan 3, 2007
    I didn't know what it was that woke me up!!

About 3 minutes later my girlfriend rang me asking if she could drive her and her sisters and parents to my house cos she thought her house was going to fall down. And, being the gentleman I am, told her to shutup and let me sleep :)

As of this morning I've heard nothing, should I be worried? ;)

16. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I felt it. It was 00.57 by my clock...

Very strange. Never been awake during any of the British earthquakes before.

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yep. I have family in Southern Illinois, not to far from it. Apparently all government buildings down there are built to earthquake standards.

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well, I'm glad it wasn't big enough to hurt anyone. Living in Texas, I've never experienced a quake, and hope never to!

Sounds like y'all got'cher teeth rattled a bit over there. Glad that was all it was!

Cherie :)

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I've never experienced an earthquake. No tornados, hurricanes, really bad floods or vulcanic eruption either.

I think there has been some minor earthquakes here, but I'm not sure about it.