1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Earthquake

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by fcleff, Oct 15, 2006.

1. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I heard about the quake in Hawaii. Marcus, if you read this I hope that you (and your family, should you have one there) are o.k.

:bassist:

2. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Same thoughts here Marc.. hope you're doing just fine. Let us know...

Nuno

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    it´s a remarkable thing with such a forum i think: i never met/talked to/PMed/discussed here anything with marcus johnson, but when i read about the earthquake i thought: hm, what´s about tb-marcus in hawaii, i hope he is alright.

4. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm, Marcus, check in when you can. Hope all is well.
    Mike

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks, guys, all's well here in Maui. I was away from the computer for a coupla days, getting ready for some off island gigs.

The Big Island (Hawai'i) took the hardest hit. Quite a bit of damage up on the Kohala coast. My old house shook like a mutha for about 25 seconds, and then for another 20 a few minutes later, but other than losing power for about five hours, we were very lucky. It was the strongest shake since my California days; 6.7 Richter scale.

6. Almost enough to make you miss those Wisconsin tornadoes and blizzards, eh Marcus?

Wow, I almost wrote that with a straight face.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Heh... I got to be a pretty good "snow driver" when I lived in Wisconsin. I shudder to think what I'd be like now. I missed out on most of the tornados, since I'm from Up North.

We had another real jolt early this morning, just the plates settling a bit more, I guess. Hopefully we can wait another twenty years for the next shakes (like last time). Some people say we're in for more frequent seismic slop, though.

8. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    My computer crashed and I am just now getting back online. I'm glad to hear that you are o.k. and that your hybrid is not damaged (I assume :))

:bassist:

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thanks, fcleff, the La Scala is fine.... but it did move a bit from its position in the corner where I keep it. Obviously, I wasn't counting on an early morning 6.7 quake! I've since turned it around, with the bridge facing the wall, as it balances better this way. Truth is, as hard as my house was shaking, it probably would have moved even if it had been laying on the floor. I've come to realize that there's a reason my house has sat here since 1935; it seems to be a survivor, knock on wood.

10. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Maybe that Qauke gave your bass a nice rumble that it couldn't of had any other way.:) I wonder what folks down in Hana town are thinking about all of this. I recall that they were wiped out by a Tsunami 50 or 60 years ago.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Maybe you're thinking of Hilo town, on the Big Island, which was levelled by a tsunami in 1960.

Hana has turned out to be the town most directly affected by the quake here on Maui; here's a link to an article from today's Maui News...http://mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=24447

I have a gig over there with Tom Scott in a coupla weeks, but it's on this side of the obstruction, so barring any further flash flooding or earthquakes, we should be okay.

12. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    You're right, I forgot about that. Not that I go that far back!:eek:

I've heard that the reason that there was no tsunami this time was because it was centered so close to land that it really had no chance to generate one. Thank heaven...

14. Sounds like someone forgot to feed pele a virgin.

15. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, thank Heaven and God for that.