Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Jan 21, 2003.

1. I few minutes ago I was talkbassing when all of a sudden everything started shaking..

Man.. I'm still a little bit shocked. I had experiences like this before but never felt so in panic like today... Three years ago I lived in a sismic(sp?)area near the Andes, in Argentina and I went through earthquakes every once in a while but almost a half of the roof in the house I lived at was made of wood.. So I wasn't so afraid of having the roof falling over my family and our stuff.

Now my house has two floors.. and the shaking felt much worse than I ever felt it.. It kept shaking for a while.... For a momment I thought about giving up everything I own for saving my life..

I dont know how hard the earthquake was in richter scale yet, but I'll find out later in the news..

Anyway.. Everything's cool now.

Has everyone gone through something like this?
  2. Wow man! I hope everythings ok down there...I live in Socal, we have small to medium ones all the time, take a look..... ....
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I just turned the TV and there were the news...

glad nothing major (like in 1985) happened
  5. Everything seems to be under control now..

Guadalajara is near to Colima.. the closest town to the epicenter.. It seems like there were no important damages in any of the locations were the earthquake manifested.

Wel.. I'm glad everithing is OK now..

6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Its Seismic
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, I´ve been trough a quite a few earthquakes.

Here´s a few I remember...

Around 1989-1990 I was in school and there was a class going on. Suddenly we all heard a loud rumble and we looked outside and just saw the landscape coming in waves at us. Moments later it was like we were out on the sea.

In 1997 I also remember a good rumble, I was at work at the time and the building I was in shook pretty hard, but nothing was damaged. (Icelandic buildings are build to survice earthquakes).

On june the 17th. in 2000 (The Icelandic independence day), when the whole country was celebrating the ground shook violently during midday. That earthquake was about 7 on the Richter scale. There was quite a damage in the inner parts of Iceland where the quake originated.
    The next night around 1am the ground shook again. That time I was in bed. Not a comfortable feeling waking up to a violent earthquake. A bit hard to go to sleep after that one, but I finally managed.

We fortunately haven´t had an serious earthquake since.... But it´s only a matter of time.
  8. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Cool link. I'm from Veesta too, by the way. VHS, Class of '81. Crap, I'm getting old.

But I digress. Among many others, I got to enjoy the Loma Prieta quake was I was living in Monterey in '89 (the one that took out the world series). That one was wild. Was sitting on a stool in a car parts store writing a check, when everything started shaking. Okay, I'm a native, I'm cool, go back to writing my check. Starts shaking a little harder. Me and the other guys just kinda look at each other. Starts shaking REALLY HARD. Someone blinked, and suddenly we all simultaneously dove for cover. Unbelievable racket--stuff started literally FLYING off the shelves. When it stopped, the place was a disaster, but once we figured out it was over, we hooped and hollered like we just got off a roller coaster. My first thought was, "If this ain't the epicenter, someone really got shwacked." And of course, they did. I got off lucky, and just lost all of the food in my fridge due to the power outage. Glad to hear you're okay, Luis.

I'll take 'em over tornadoes ANY day though. Those things scare the hell out of me. :eek:
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That explains EVERYTHING... ;)
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I was sitting upstairs in my room rakin' away on my guitar, ('86-87) when I heard a "creak!" like someone coming up the stairs. I called out..."who's there?" My dog got up and walked into the closet. There was no one there.

The 6:00PM news that night said there was a earthquake centered in southern Ohio.

My dog knew what the deal was.:eek:
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I used to live in the SF Bay Area and have been through MANY earthquakes. Fun stuff if they are mild and no one gets hurt. Although even the small ones can cost $$$ in property damage. But the one in Mexico was a BIG one from what I hear.

My father in law called from Guadalajara, Mexico and said it lasted almost a minute. Yikes.
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Watch out for aftershocks. They can be a bear too.
  13. I was just reading the replies and when I started to type this post the house started shaking again.. But it was just for a couple of seconds.. Nothing compared to yesterday's earthquake..

Ok.. It seems like some of you have experienced heavier earthquakes than I.. Yesterday's wasn't so devastating althought it was 7.6 in richter scale..
  14. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    My company has a facility in Guad -- hope everyone/everything is okay.
  15. Everything seems to be ok.. Yup..

This last one was 5.8
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm sure 0.0 would be more satisfactory to you, and your neighbors.

Stay safe!
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Me, too. Tornados is just crazy.
  18. yeah, you're right.:cool: