1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by P-oddz, Mar 6, 2013.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I got a chance to try a few of Earthquaker's pedals the other day, and have since purchased and fallen in love with this fuzz. Here's some info:
    http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/dirttransmitter.htm

The bias control adjusts the voltage applied to the transistor, and dialed in right, I get a nice, super tight and precise sputtery fuzz. Turn the bias up and this thing can roar! It's amazing how pocket, yet present, this pedal seems to sit with my current setup. I've also been running an octave into it, and dialed right - this thing sounds like a nasty synth.

Pretty cool pedal...

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Welp....

I was bored, so I decided to record some clips of it in action. Maybe it'll help someone who was curious about it (doesn't appear to be too many of you - hahaha!)

Signal:
    Highway One Precision: Dirt Transmitter: VT Bass: Tone Hammer (pre EQ): GarageBand. No eq'ing or volume level tweaking applied (hopefully volume difference doesn't drive everyone crazy).

I give you a sample of my straight tone and then proceed to wank with whatever came to my head that minute (using both a pick and fingers randomly while I tweaked knobs) - so this is not a sample of my bass skills, but rather (hopefully) a representation of what the pedal can do.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1092078&songID=12205808

mcca and Sound&Fury like this.
  3. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Apr 27, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Commercial User
    That sounds badass! Might end up replacing my finicky Mastotron...

4. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't have any experience with the Mastotron, but from the clips I've heard - the DT seems to be a little less sputtery than the Mastotron, and capable of a wider fuzz range than the Mastotron seems designed to do.

5. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    The DT is very versatile. I bought it for my guitar board, but bass sounds great through it too. Having a variety of sputtery and regular fuzz tones available is excellent. EQD pedals are very reasonably priced I think, being interesting designs handmade in the US. I also have the Speaker Cranker and the Dispatch Master on the g-board and would recommend those as well.

6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Absolutely agree. My guitarist is using the Speaker Cranker and the Bit Commander on his board, and I also tried the Hoof Reaper Octave Fuzz. It sounded great, it was just a little more than I needed now and actually preferred the unique tone of the DT.

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    they have a cool display in the desert at the hoof and horn outside of joshua tree

8. Lorenzop

Lorenzop

Oct 23, 2012
    Berlin
    Thanks P Odds your clip of DirtTransmitter made my day!
    My intuition led me to believe the DT could be great on bass, so I watched all there is to hear on YT but sadly no bass clips. Great that you confirmed that! It works !
    Brilliant. Have you alsO tried it with some distortion before or after it? I wonder how well it "cascades" with other pedals.
    Cheers!

9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing.

Dec 10, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Designer - Big Machine Electronics
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing the clip. I've always wondered about this one too!

Thanks for digging this one up.

10. bikingbassist

bikingbassist

Aug 26, 2013
    Pocatello
    I'm glad you posted these sounds as I'm interested in a Dirt Transmitter. My one curiosity is how similar the sputtery side of the Dirt will be to some of the sounds of the new Terminal which is another one I'm going to get my hands on soon.

11. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not sure how the Terminal sounds in comparison. I haven't been able to try that one, but looking up guitar clips, the Terminal seems to be capable of much more sputter.

The DT is more of a signal chop or a gate applied to the signal. It gets sputtery-ish, but if you choke too much signal it literally just chokes it off (you get the idea about :55 seconds into my clip), but is capable of a little bit more of a roaring fuzz as well. From what I heard of the Terminal, it does more sputtery (as opposed to a more choked fuzz) but doesn't really sound like it can open much from there. Then again I don't have any experience with the pedal, and bass and guitar react to pedals differently - so take that armchair review with a grain of salt.

As far as pedals that play nice with it - In my opinion - stacking dirt or gain pedals in to it or behind it haven't really had much of an improvement, and I haven't found any that necessarily pair well together. As I mentioned before though - you can make some interesting tones paired with a octave pedal. I would also bet (though I don't use them) that some timing effects or things of that nature might happy sounds make.

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Can anyone compare the DT to the Darkglass Duality maybe? That Speaker Cranker looks pretty awesome as well.

13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    The Speaker Cranker is a different functioning pedal than the Dirt Transmitter. It's essentially a boost/natural overdrive pedal. Very different from the fuzz of the DT.

Looking up the Duality (no experience playing it) - you've got a blend function that the DT doesn't have, and it sounds like it gets ultra heavy doom style. The DT has a slightly different flavor, in my opinion and doesn't seem to get as sludgy and thick as the Darkglass seems to be capable of (either a positive or a negative depending on what you're looking for, and probably because of the blend). Other than that, pricing is a difference in factor.

14. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Raising the good ol zombie thread! But how does this pedal go in a live mix? My mate who is a guitarist has offered me his second hand for a pretty sick price!
    And it sounds even sicker on its own.