Earthquaker Devices Hoof Reaper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Hey all, it's been quite a while since I've posted here.

I've been really interested in an EQD Hoof Reaper lately, but I can't find any decent bass demos. The official EQD one is done by Juan Alderete, who I can't stand (not knocking his technical chops, I just don't care for his style or tone). I searched here, and one member posted a video of the Hoof Reaper combined with other effects, playing along with a song. I'd like to hear it with nothing else.

I've been able to find plenty of demos of the Hoof, and it sounds great. I'd just like to see what the Reaper side and octave up can add to it. It seems like you would be able to get just about any fuzz tone imaginable out of it.

Thanks!

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    If you can't stand Juan then who are you into?

3. Geezer, Al Cisneros, Tatsu Mikami, Steve Harris, Tim Bagshaw, Karl Alvarez, Matt Freeman

Sartori likes this.
  4. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    image.png

5. Yeah I owned one for a while. Sold it.
    The Hoof side is a Muff. Adequate bottom. Sounded to me to be voiced like a green Russian, although it did have some focus in the mids.
    Octave is a green ringer clone (not very useful).
    The Reaper is useful for nasal focussed lead tones. The Reaper cuts significant bottom ends but cuts thru the mix like a babies' cry on an aeroplane. This pedal for me is the sort of thing a metal/doom/stoner guitarist would enjoy, but a bass player would only use the Hoof. I liked the Reaper on guitar a lot, but for bass work not so much.

So anyway;
    Fun? Sure.
    Useful pedal on bass? Maybe. Depends what you want it for.

6. Hmm checked out some demos and it's a bit much. Kinda just flattens everything out.

Verellen Big Spider looks really cool too, but I'm not sure he's still making them...

7. Dj Bebel

Dj Bebel

Jul 8, 2017
    I had one for one month now.

The Hoof i great by itself, cool Muff sound.

I feel the Reaper has good bottom if you crank the tone knob on the bass side (right side).

The octave is not a real octave like you could find on an EHX POG, it just kind of moves up the sound spectrum, more highs but less bass. It sounds more like the octave you have in a Super Fuzz or an Octavia.

If you use both Reaper and Hoof, it gets massive but kind of muddy, even more with the octave. It also makes a sort of buzz sound if you stop the notes. But you can control it with the knobs, it's weird but can make interesting sounds.

I love it but it's not for everyone. It's great if you want to make power duo stuff like Al Cisneros does with Öm but not really worth for bass in a power trio band.

If you want i can make some recording using a ToneHammer set flat direct to the daw.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  8. I'd love to hear a demo, I've had trouble finding a decent one...

9. Dj Bebel

Dj Bebel

Jul 8, 2017
    Hey !

So here's the demo :

I did it quick, it would take a 15 minutes video to make a full demo of that pedal so i only used a pick and the bridge pick-up on full highs. I'm using a Rickenbacker copy AZ by WSL R4003 with Flatwounds strings.

Also using an IR cab sim of a SVT 810.

I don't know why but the daw looped some of the tracks.

fuzzspiral likes this.
  10. Thanks a lot dude, this demo was really helpful. Hoof Reaper is definitely on my list.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022