Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Earthworks....recent recordings(CD/DVD).

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fretlessb1, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Sometime last November or so, I came upon some seemingly new Earthworks material.
    'The Sound of Surprise' studio recording,
    and 'Footloose and Fancy Free' both DVD/CD live recordings....
    I hadn't heard anything of Bruford/Earthworks in quite a while..they had sort of fallen off of the radar screen a bit.
    These recordings are simply awesome.....the timing, phrasing, compatibility, musicianship is simply incredible.
    Plus, you just have to love Bill Bruford's drum setup..
    Meanwhile,I've been driving the wife crazy with all of the newer recordings, I have various Earthworks' recordings on in the car..and play the DVD fairly often.
    Any other admirer's of the recent Earthworks material(s)???

LenG

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw them live in my home town in a concert which also featured Stuart Copeland doing his film music.

Earthworks play quite regularly in the UK on the Jazz circuit - Bill is now the leader of a Jazz quartet which is working very much like many others on the UK Jazz Scene.

For me the real star of the show was Tim Garland - the Sax player who has also played with Chic Corea - I am also seeing him next week in my town playing with his own big band : "Underground Orchestra". :)

3. I missed seeing Earthworks...I believe that they were in Chicago a year or so back..playing a bar I'm not familiar with(a rarity).
    I've checked Bill Bruford's site for the Tour List...I'll keep a closer eye next time.
    Just Love this band....what feel!
    On the DVD Bill Bruford gets to talk about influences..the whos the whats..what an interesting character.
    The Musician's he has played for or with...and he has a very keen ear..and taste for quick turns in the music....both notewhise, and tempowhise.