Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ease Up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JWC, Apr 24, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    What can you do on a bass to make the strings not so tense and tight. Because the strings are very tense on my bass where I pluck them (by the PUs). Any ideas?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A quick fix - change strings. Some string models have higher tension than others, even if you compare sets with the same gauges. You could also do like Tony Iommi, you know when he had his finger injury and lost strength in his hand - detune.

Those are what I can think of for now.

3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Detune? As in tuning a step or 2 down? That may just work Oysterman! I didn't think of that, I just noticed that it was alot easier playing when my strings were unwound, but never thought to try and learn all the notes that way. Great idea. Also I got Ernie's right now. Any better suggestions?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm not 100 on whether other brands are looser in feel that the Balls or not... do you know what gauge they are? Might want to step down in string size? It will make a difference.

Try the detuning, but with it might also come the infamous fret buzz we all fear and loathe. Detune too much, and you might be forced to redo your setup; you know, neck relief and action.

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Well Oysterman, I went and detuned 1 and 1/2 steps on all 4 strings. It made an incredible difference. I can play faster and do all the cool riffs I want to do. But, I just gotta figure out what to do with those damned open strings in the riffs.

My gauge are Ball 100s. SO maybe the 95s could work?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The 95s might work. But what you really should do is just keep playing the bass, in time the strength in your plucking hand will increase, and you'll play it with greater ease. It took me about a year to develop sufficient strength and technique in my hands, so I would not get tired playing.

7. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Yeah maybe, but my hand doesnt tire, the tension just prevents me from giving it 100%.

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Kicking self in ass. The solution was right under my nose the whole time. Play higher toward the neck. It's working and sounding terrific. Wow, that was easy enough :) thanks oysterman!

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I see you pretty much have your solution but "if today's Tom Sawyer is getting high on you, he must have a big ass bong." has gotta be 1 of the best sig's I've read in a while. I almost pee'd myself.

P.S. The sound playing closer to the bridge as opposed to near the neck is alot different. If you like it cool. It's to muddy for me. I play near the bridge but I use a pick, ever try one?

10. Oysterman is right. Keep practising and in time your mobility will improve to the point where you can play all your cool stuff at normal tuning.

11. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Thanks Nino and Marty. And to Nino, I can't use a pick. Call me weird, but the reason I don't use one is because my favorite 2 bassists, Geddy and Jaco, didn't use one.

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    As far as strings with lower tension, I found that Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds had a MUCH lower tension than the DRs and Elixirs I had previously been using. Oddly enough, they also seem to be louder than those other brands. I love the T-I rounds -- I can play much faster with them and they're easy on my fingers. As long as I keep them clean, they retain just enough top end for me. Of course, YMMV.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey, Geddy is my main inspiration in bass playing!!!!! Listening to the sound of his bass you'd think he uses a pick. Hey isn't Chris Squire one of Geddy Lee's favorite bassists?

I'm just glad you didn't say "Real bassist don't use picks!!!" :) Latley I've been playing w/my fingers but I've been playing w/a pick for 10 yrs & I am much better w/a pick. I think if you can do both well, you have a little more versatility. OK I'll stop babbling now. LOL