easier to learn: 6 string guitar or 4 string bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sweetmarie58, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Of course, I'm just saying that info about which is easier to play after playing both for 20 some years is probably not really relevant.

2. Thanks! Sometimes I don't know what possesses people.

3. Ahhhhhhhh, gotcha.

Besides, we all know the easiest ways to get into a band is to host the rehearsals or own the PA, no matter what instrument you play or your skill level. :)

4. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    you know what they say about men with small hands.....

.. they wear small gloves

5. gruvit

gruvit

Jan 14, 2009
    Richland, WA
    I don't know about that whole guitar vs. bass business as I never really tried to learn other than a few basic chords, but I can tell you, scale makes no difference. I have average to smaller than average hands, but short, stubby sausage fingers (my index finger is smaller than yours) and I play a 35" six string. I actually picked up a 34" scale the other day and kept over-shooting everything and felt like I was just fumbling along. The way I look at it, the longer the scale, the more you have to shift your hand position, that's all. ;)

6. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    Denitely B, umm B for Bass??? concidence:eek:

7. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    Are there any words missing in your question?

Or is it like "my question is impossible to answer" type of comeback?;)

Sorry if I'm missing something here.

8. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    You are correct, I meant to learn and play.

Umm, I really didn't mean to ruffle any feathers guys. I definetely didn't want to start a standard guitar vs bass guitar war. I just wanted to know if I was correct in saying that the bass is typically single notes vs chords with guitar (while playing rhythm anyway).

9. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I started out playing guitar and bass about the same time. Bass is easier to fake, guitar is a little harder to learn. However, when learning songs, I find them equally hard from a rhythmic perspective, guitar a little harder from a solo perspective, though I don't try to be a funkmaster on the the Bass. Having said that, Guitar is a little easier from a physical perspective. I find the bass a much more physical instrument to play

10. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Haha exactly. My underlying point is, if you're a more melody-driven person, then I'd say more often than not, you're better suited for guitar. If you're more rhythmically driven, then you're probably better suited for bass and/or drums.

If you're C, then take your pick, hell, learn both!

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My sentiments exactly.

I started on bass. Then when I picked up the guitar a few years later, my knowledge of the bass made it easier to learn than if I had started on the guitar initially.

But do what you're comfortable with. :cool:

12. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    A few things:
    -I have small hands and play (among other things, a six-string bass.
    -Many bassists have small hands and aren't resigned to 4 string basses or to find any/all basses uncomfortable to play.
    -Your finger span WILL stretch in time, and good left hand technique/bass angle will help comfort and technique over time.
    -It might be easier to learn some very basic things on a bass first, but to be good at either, you will have to practice.
    -You'll likely play many more single notes as a bassist, but a good one can artfully add chords sometimes if the music calls for it.

All of which is to say: Go for it. Play bass.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

If you just want to play very basic root/five stuff on the bass, it is easier to learn quickly. Then again, if you just want to play a little rhythm guitar, that is pretty easy to learn quickly as well.

If you want to master either (and you never really will) they both require a lifelong commitment to practicing and learning. Once you understand and apply one facet of technique or theory, you will find that there is more to learn than you thought when you started down that path.

Neither of them are of them are really easier. They are just different.

14. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Oregon
    I've played both guitar and bass in bands and it was slightly easier overall to play guitar because playing chords comes very naturally to me. Now solos, that is a different story. However, bass is 100 times more fun to play. I feel more fluid and creative. Locking in with a good drummer is absolute heaven. Besides, guitars feel small and wimpy compared to the Goddess that is bass. I won't even mention breaking strings!

15. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    I play both so here is my opinion...though I played guitar FIRST.

IMO It is EASIER to become Cliff Williams on bass then it is to become Johnny Ramone on guitar.

HOWEVER it is EASIER to become Van Halen on guitar then it is to become Geddy Lee on bass.

Bad things about bass:

To me defeating the PLATEAUS on the bass is much more difficult, and the BASS will fight you all the way.

I get wrist, arm, and tendon strain from the bass...never from a guitar.

Also IMO the BASS requires you to have a MUCH cleaner technique then the guitar.

Bass MISTAKES stick out like a sore thumb.

You get ZERO respect except from other bassists

Bass is BORING to practice IMO

Good things about bass:

If your goal is to GIG and make some dough you will get there MUCH faster on bass.

You wield ALL the POWER

IMO Bass is more fun to play LIVE

Bass players are in demand....even bad ones.

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Don't worry about ruffling feathers, EVERYTHING ruffles feathers here. You are correct that generally bass is single note while guitar is chords. In these regards bass is easier to learn, but there are other areas that bass is more difficult. Overall, bass is a slightly simpler instrument, but that's really irrelevant to which you enjoy playing more. If it was all which was easier or most difficult we would all be playing sitars or kazoos.

17. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    I knew that was probably a trick ? Now that I realize what you were looking for I would have to answer both. I'm constantly trying to pick out the the bass runs and at the same time tapping to the beat of the bass and drums. Like I said in another thread, I'm always the one playing the air bass,:bassist: lol.

I love Genesis, and most prog music.

18. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    I can't even play yet but I can tell just by listening that there's so much more improvisation that can be done, if you're fast enough/time permitting, to throw in some extra punches here and there. I may never see that day....

19. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    Thank You for your honest opinion, gratefull.

20. sweetmarie58

sweetmarie58

Feb 9, 2009
    I can manage 1-4 frets, not the cleanest but I can do it. Wrist hurts like hell though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021