Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

easiest / fastest five string ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurisu, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Man, tough to search with most people using the term "5-string" which isn't indexed. :)

So, here's my question: what do you think the fastest 5 string would be? I'm equating the word fast with tight string spacing and extremely low action. I'm thinking Zon right off the top of my head. Any others?

I'd love to find a fast 5 string with a seriously agressive j-style growl. And Sadowsky is far too wide, right?

Howabout six string? :ninja:

2. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've just started looking for a good 5-string.

I tried a few MTD Americans because of their reputation and tone but their neck widths are pretty damn wide:

2" @ nut
    3 1/16" @ 24th fret
    string spacing is 19mm

The Warwick Corvette is narrower:

1.77" @ nut
    2.72" @ 24th fret
    string spacing is 16.5mm

Carvin's have a very thin neck and are also relatively narrow:

1.75" @ nut
    2.75" @ 24th fret

Hope this helps some...let me know if you find out more.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Warwick basse are fast and have aggressive tone for days.

4. Find an old Nashville, or pre Nash Tobias classic. Neck through, low action, narrow spacing. Great deep tone.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I Find Sadowsky 5 string Necks to be great, they are wide but when you got the groove going you get around very nicely on them.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've got to cast a vote for my favorite bass - The Ibanez EDB605. It's got a great neck, it stays in tune and I can get my action nice and low. It's string spacing is only 45mm at the nut (about 1 3/4") and 67 mm at the 24th fret (about 2 3/4") They describe it as "the most traditional of the Ergodyne basses" and I tend to agree - I think it looks fantastic. It tastefully blends traditional with modern. It has two soap bar style humbucking pick ups and an active 3 band EQ which allows you to dial in a variety of tones. I'm not sure if it's a J style growl or not (I've never owned a J) but this thing will growl. It's also fairly light and super comfortable to play. They're not overly expensive. I like it.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Pedulla = Fast playing. i think they come in wide and not-so-wide neck widths.

8. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    well, i know a lot of people have an issue with the tighter string spacing of the peavey cirrus, and (to me at least) it seems plenty fast.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i go with jmarcus on this one
    pre-gibson tobias 5's are very playable and sound most like what you are looking for (good luck finding one)
    modulus graphite basses are also pretty darn comfortable, as are the Music mans
    personally, i havent played a 5 i liked more than the MTDs

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I think Warwicks are too narrow. Fasted 5 i've played was a Jerzy Drozd, but that's probably too expensive for most. Zon basses definately have a fast 5 neck. I'm mostly a 4-string player, but I found that the Zon neck felt right very quick. I would wish that those basses had a bit more neck curvature but i have a felling that, that would make them more difficult to play.

11. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    almost all ibanez apart from btb have thin necks. as for action, the best action i've ever played was an aria igb, that was very wasy to play, don't know about the 5 string though.

12. Fastest neck I've played is a Curbow. It has wide spacing, which is my preference (you can custom order them narrow, as well), but the fretboard is fairly flat, the action can be ridiculously low, and Rockwood is very stable and feels quicker to get around on than anything else I've ever played.

Mike

13. Fastest neck and lowest action i've ever touched was a 5 string Dingwall Afterburner.
    The compound radius neck (fairly flat shaped neck), and 18mm string spacing make these bass play fast.
    frank

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try a Warwick Rockbass or Carvin with a tung-oiled neck. They're superfast and come in J flavors. They're pretty cheap too.

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'll second that.

Don't let the fanned frets scare you - they're a breeze to get used to.

Main thing I'd say is that I would NOT equate narrow bridge spacing with "fast". I find anything narrower than 18mm to be an impediment.

So overall, I'd say look for about 1.875" at the nut and about 3" at the highest fret. That feels nice and fast for your fretting hand, with enough room for proper fingerstyle/slap spacing at the bridge.

And really, it is just how it feels - I've also got a 5 with a 2.125" nut, very beefy neck. It doesn't feel fast so to speak, but it doesn't really slow me down, either. As long as the action is right and the neck isn't just flat out too big for your hand, it shouldn't be too big a problem. I'd give up "fast feel" for beefy and stable any day. Tone is king.

16. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Fastest 5 string neck I have (in a 30+ bass collection, mind you) is a Benavente 219B.

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Anything Music Man or the Lakland 55-02 or it's high $$ brother.

My Fender MIA Dlx Jazz 5 is impressive also.

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    fastest 5 string neck i've ever played was a Ken Smith Burner 5 string. tight spacing. very mid-rangy and growly with the J pickups

19. you should def check out a yamaha trb 5 string.. i used to own a TRB2-5.

My main concern when i was getting a fiver was the action.

TRB2-5 played like a dream, nice low action, thin neck.... almost felt like i was playing a 4 stringer. Much better then the warwick corvette 5er, which I selled after i got my trb2-5

You won't exactly get a lot of J'Growl' tho. The tone is more 'hi-fi' ish.. really clean, smooth warm tone.

If you really need a whole bunch of 'growl' maybe a TRB isn't the way to go but if, low action and faster neck is your main concern, u should def. check out a TRB