1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easiest gigs ever

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    What has been your easiest gig ever?

Most of us have mimed at some point or another due to equipment problems or one too many requests to "turn the bass down", but I'm now doing something even easier. When you're miming you have to make it look convincing, after all.

I recently joined a band in which I replaced a didgeridoo player and proceeded to play two gigs with them immediately without even knowing more than a few the songs. We did rehearse once before the first gig but I was jetlagged, tired and braindead anyway. The pianist would just tell me what note to play and I'd drone away on that note for the entire song (playing DB arco), just paying attention to shifts in dynamics. And even that made me an upgrade because the guy I replaced apparently only had C, G and D didgeridoos so he couldn't play on songs in other keys, and they had a few songs in A minor. As a bonus the second gig involved bellydancers.

Since then they've asked me to play some more complex parts on a few songs (though still very simple - it's all just minor-key rock originals played slowly on non-rock instruments), so it's not quite that dead easy anymore, but if you want a really, really easy gig, try replacing a didgeridoo player.

Having mentioned bellydancers I suppose I should post pictures, shouldn't I?

poludnica_tancerki_1.

poludnica_tancerki_2.

2. Miming?! Thats just wrong.

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I like bellydancing mimes.

4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    one time i was a bellydancing mime and that was my easiest gig yet.

5. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yep, just stand really still and stick your stomach out.

6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Easiest gig yet? I once was a bellydancing mime in an internet collaboration, using still photos found on TB. Never left the recliner. happy0034.

7. I don't see any chix pix with bellies

Maybe someone from Russia can post pix.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I want to play at a gig with bellydancers! Of course, I might get distracted...

9. Nice one. I've never heard a bassist say that one.

ian

10. MIME= Epic FAIL... go back to being a gui****.

11. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    They were looking for hurdy-gurdy, didgreidoo or DB - basically anything that can drone at a reasonably low pitch.