1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Easiest way to record jam sessions with out braking the bank.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by igwin, Mar 8, 2010.

1. igwin

igwin

Aug 13, 2007
    What is the best way to record my bands jam sessions with out breaking the bank?

I hear boss makes some pretty good hand held records. I'm looking for something that will record my bands practice sessions so that our singer can write some lyrics and I can work on more of my bass parts with out having to take up rehearsal time.

The band has two guitarist, bass, drums, and singer pretty standard stuff right.. I just want something that will record us and allow us to burn the sessions on to CD.

Any ideas?

2. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    price range...

3. I have a mini disc that I plug into the p.a. I got it for like $25 on ebay. It works fantastic. I had one years ago when I DJ'ed and I could plug it in and record for hours.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  5. I've been recording all band practices for a couple of years with the Zoom H2. It was $200. I mount it on a tripod and switch it on for each song. The sound is really good for what it is. I've even made rough demo cd's from it. I email the songs to the other band members every week also. I think it really speeds up the progress for our band.

-Todd

6. comet909

comet909

Feb 18, 2007
    I've used mini disc recorders. Works quite well.

7. igwin

igwin

Aug 13, 2007
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... I freaking love this message board thanks guys.

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Zoom H2. Very good.

9. +1 on the Zoom. I've got the Zoom Q3 and while I could really care less about the video, the audio comes out really nice. If you sound good in the room (critical) you'll sound good on the Zoom.

Add to that the fact that I have a Ford Escape and can hook it up via USB and listen on the way home from a session, it's a really great little tool!

10. Easiest way for me is to use the "Voice Recorder" app on my iPhone. The sound quality is decent enough to practice with later (as long as the phone is in a good location when it's recording) and I can pull the tracks onto my computer as MP3s. I use this all the freakin' time, I probably have 60 hours worth of recorded rehearsals/jams on my laptop.

11. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    +1

12. I use a Sony MZ-RH1 Minidisc recorder, along with a pair of mini binaural microphones, and a battery box. I got the mics and battery box from Sound Professionals. This setup makes excellent live recordings.
    I originally started mindisc recording with a Sharp MT770 (which I still have), but switched to the Sony because it let me transfer to the computer by USB, instead of playing back the audio and recording through the sound card in my computer as I had to do with the Sharp. Both methods resulted in excellent live recordings.
    Some of the newer digital recorders, like the Tascams, look to be good portable recorders, also.

13. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Here's some interesting new units from Sony and Tascam I was watching these a few days ago. Don't know how they stack up against the Zoom. I would assume that they make better Audio but don't know without having heard them plus they are very new to the market

14. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    ZOOM H2

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Here's another vote for the Zoom H2. I've had mine for almost 2 years now, and it's a great tool to have. I picked up a Q3 a few weeks back too, and that's pretty nice as well so far, especially if you want some video too. :)

16. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    all the zoom recorders are great. but IMO the h4N is worth the extra cash, bigtime.

sounds amazing, and its got tons of fairly usefull features (like 4ch mode, mtr mode, stereo mode..)

all stuff youll prob end up using. but for the money the h2 / regular h4 are still excellent.

17. My room mate's band's drummer has both the Zoom H4 and Zoom H4n...

They work AMAZINGLY. Both for band practice and live shows.

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    For a bit more you can also go toward a Zoom R16 and record 8 channels at the same time.

19. fdask

fdask

May 20, 2009
    Toronto
    Chiming in with a bit of boss love here. I picked up a used MicroBR about 8 months ago and it never leaves my gig bag. Works great for working out song ideas at home, or recording jams.

For recording jams, I use the built in microphone, and position the unit between the amps and the drum kit. Sounds pretty good! The unit can be set to record straight into mp3 too. Takes 2AA's, or a normal boss adapter. Seriously great little device.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The H2 can also record in 4 channel mode (front and rear mics at the same time.).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020