1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Easiest way to use a combo cab as a stand alone cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Apr 3, 2018.

1. I'm sure I'm overthinking this.... but, I'm curious (and someone else might be too)....

I've got a MarkBass CMD151P combo that I'd like to be able to use a stand alone cabinet with a different head. This combo connects the head to the speakers via a 1/4 male plug hanging out of the back of the combo. (head can easily be disconnected in normal fashion)

Would it be better to change that 1/4 male to a 1/4 female? Or, just use a $5 1/4 female to 1/4 female adapter (can you send speaker signals through those adapters without issues)? Or remove that 1/4 male & change it to a combo 1/4 & speakon jack? Or, use a box that has a 1/4 in and speakon outs?

Why wouldn't a company just make it a female plug on the box and use a short cable to connect?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Beware of exposed metal on an evaporator or cable. I would just make or have made a 1/4" M - F cable that's long enough and use connectosr with plastic shells on both ends. Regular speaker wire or zip wire.

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Hmmm, you could also just make or get a longer wire to attach directly to the speaker, then coil up and velcro when using the amp in the combo.

4. Speaker in outs on the cab would have some turkey plugging in a different amp and blowing up both. Plus they saved on all the parts you have to buy to get it to do what you want.

Jack plate. Screws. Speakon plugs. Cable.

Don't make a mess inside the cab.

gitfiddl likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Be sure and use speaker cable and not instrument cable.

What wattage would the other heads be?

Low wattage, an adapter would be work.

BadExample likes this.
  6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    The way he described it is like open back or semi-open back guitar amps can be wired. Speaker to 1/4" male that barely reaches the built in head, then that plugs into on of two 1/4" speaker outs on the head. IDK if you got that and I don't speak NZ or if you didn't catch that bro.:D

7. yeah I got it. You don't speak NZ.

BadExample likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Banned in most states before we were born.

henryjurstin13 likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I don't thing that takes 1/4" like some speakons. Also beware of knock-off speakons. I only use Neutrik.

If your amp has speakon out, just get a 1/4" jack ended spaeker cable, cut one end off and attach a screw type speakon to that. Be sure and use a #1 posix screwdriver (PZ1).