Easily the dumbest question ever asked on talkbass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sing-modulator, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    EDIT: I'm not interested in hearing effects on tone/sustain/stability, really just want to know if it's possible.
    Also i am aware of copies of rics that already have bolt on necks
    Also i am aware if the ric-like kit basses

I have a ric 4003 and I want it to be a bolt-on because I want the ability to have a different neck (for example a fretless or 5 string neck) built to be swapped in, because I have a lot of trouble being satisfied with the instruments I have, and being able to change the neck on a bass I love the sound and look of would really save me from GAS guilt. Is it possible to convert the neck-through into a bolt-on?

Honestly it just sounds like a dumb idea that would take soooo much effort to execute, but I had to ask.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    covermego likes this.
  2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yup, dumb idea.

3. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    This would be way, way more trouble and effort than it's worth, and would destroy the value of your bass if you ever decided to sell it. Allow me to suggest some other options.
    @Ric5 converts 4 string Ricks to 5-bangers, so that could be one option for you to explore if you just want a 5 string Rick.
    There are fretless Ricks out there, so you could buy one of those. Or you could have a Rick defretted.
    Finally, you could commission a build from someone like @mapleglo, who could build you a Rick-inspired body (can't be exact, due to IP laws) with a bolt on neck that would allow you to swap between different configurations.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I doubt that a bolt on could support the original neck pick up position.

jamro217, PeaveyPlayer and Matthew_84 like this.
  5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    That's what I initially thought but because of the little bump on back of the neck I think it might actually be more plausible that you could do actually do the conversion, in any case I would advise against this modification and would say just get a second ric or ric inspired bass (like @mapleglo's)

6. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    There have been significantly dumber questions here than this, including the ones about if Hip Hop bass lines really "exsist" and if the Geddy Lee Signature bass was ever made with an ash neck. :D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    ROGI and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. I bit on this click bait title sorta half expecting something along the lines of 'does this bass make my ass look fat?'
    Because well...all basses make my ass look fat and I could relate. Butt nevermind- carry on.

8. Anachronism

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    Also, while I don't know what your budget would be, the cost of having your current 4003 turned into a bolt on, plus buying another neck to fit it, would surely put you well on your way to either a fretless or 4-to-5 string conversion Rick.

9. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    not really; this one ranks high

MobileHolmes, bdplaid, Ellery and 3 others like this.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Not a dumb idea.

mj5tts.jpg

11abtkz.jpg

Fender style bolt-on neck. Neck pickup in the 4003 position. Sounds like a Ric.

11. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well at least you didn't ask if it was cool to play punk while seated on stage and maybe just dangling your leg a little.

I think what you want is a Fender or at least a Squier. ...Or really anything that is built to Fender specs. There's thousands of aftermarket interchangeable parts out there for those. Not for Rics.

All you'd really need is a set of Ric pups and a router to get the Ric sound.

12. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Not quite, at least if you were planning to use Ric pickups on a Fender bass. There's a string spacing issue - the Ric pickups are set up for extremely narrow string spacing.

hillerup likes this.
  13. So is the correct nomenclature for that RickenFender or FenderRicker? :D

Duder likes this.
  14. Anachronism

Nov 17, 2014
    VA
    Fenderbacker I think

15. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I call it a Fenderbacker. Theres a build thread for this bass if you're curious.

k9e4gh.jpg

16. And lets not forget the Rickenbacker 3000's

Rickenbacker_Model_3000_1976_Short_Scale_Bass-1962.jpg

Axstar and mapleglo like this.
  17. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Can you use alternating flats and rounds on a Fenderbacker....

E...round.....A....flat.....D....round.....G....flat?.....:)

18. Keep the RIC neck through. Buy a MM or a G&L to swap necks until you find the right one for you and your bass. BTW, it takes more than a 5 string neck to turn a 4 into a 5. The body and bridge need to be wider as well as the neck pocket. That is just too much work. If you are locked into the shape/tone of your bass, there are great MIJ copies from the 70s and you can even find modern MIC copies and some of them are upgradable to the point of being good basses. Cheers.

Fab Superlative likes this.
  19. shrigg

shrigg Joy Decision Bassist/BL, AudioKinesis Beta Tester Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    Modifying an existing Ric would be a really bad idea... But a new build making the bass you want would be a great idea! Find a builder and go for it! PM me if you need a builder to do it :cool:

Omega Monkey and Zane DeBord like this.
  20. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    It's either Fenderbacker or Rickenfender.

Fab Superlative likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021