1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

East J-Retro and What Pickups?? Help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flea claypool, Sep 19, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    so i bought a J-retro but im having different idea's of pickups as im in limited supply of any musical gear (fender or squire only around where i live) i have to take a chance and go with suggestions..

so i suppose ill tell ya what i play.. ash bodied maple neck jazz (75 re-issue) erm.. band wise i need it to have a fairly powerfull tone.. cut throu everytime i overstep the marker.. think mid way between fender and warwick growl (sorry im awful at describing) :meh:

so in terms of whats local (import taxes from america would kill)

i can get in SD's, emg, barts and fender from germany.. so far i really like the look of the ssjb3's quarter pounders.. am i just being too anal?? i hear the J-retro makes most pickups sing (is the SD overkill) so maybe if just get the most rounded one??

Cheers Guys
    A

2. mwhite89

mwhite89

Apr 3, 2005
    Gore, Oklahoma
    Hi,
    My suggestion is to not change the pickups until you have installed the preamp. Believe me, reguardless of what pickups you presently have, the J-Retro will make a big difference. whether or not you like the difference is a different issue. Install the preamp amd play before you consider changing the pups.
    Maurice:bassist:

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    oh ya suppose i should have said she doesnt have pickups :) they got taken out for another little project!! sorry for the confusion mwhite89

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have tried several pickups with my J-Retro. Finally settled in on Norstrands. Have a NJ4 in the neck and MM4.3 in the bridge. I also want a sound that will cut through and growl. Know for me the final touch to get the growl was the strings. Put on a set of DR Fatbeams and they gave me the growling sound that I wanted.

But I have to say that the few pickups I did try, they all sounded good with the J-retro.

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    ah glintaras a man after my own heart.. i have started using DR's lately (yes i did have to order them in from germany only dads and EB's in this island) and i am quite surprised by them.. they look damm cool too :) well since the J-retro is so damm adjustable i reckon im just gonna stick in a pair of Quarter pounders and have one seriously powerful J

6. phatbass30

phatbass30

Dec 24, 2006
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Groove is in the heart!!!
    i think the ANTIQUITY 2 will match your bass. ash and maple like my Sadowsky MS5. i have a Sadowsky single coils installed on mine and a Marcus Retro, perfect match!!! killer tone! as i read in many threads here, i think the Sad SC are actually the same as the Antiquity 2. correct me if i'm wrong.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The beauty of the j-retro preamp is it retains the organic sound of the pickups ... so use the pickup that you like the sound of ....

For me the SD 1/4 pounders were the perfect match for the j-retro preamp.

8. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    In terms of pickups, you might want to check out Haussel pickups, maybe they are easier to come by in EU area then Nordstrands (especially knowing the import duties in the UK).

Best regards,

Jarno.

9. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    install the preamp first, that will make a big difference in sound. Then play around for several weeks and listen what the sound is lacking then do abit of research to see which pickup will do your job.

I use dimarzio dp123 jazz set with j-retro and a set of d'addario chromes and the bass play like a dream

10. chardbass

chardbass

Oct 21, 2005
    The sound will be lacking on all fronts- he has no pickups in his bass ;)

11. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    lol mis the part where he said he have no pickups.

Since the J-Retro is slightly color to the deep end. I would say get something that give nice low mids.

For some reason i don't like EMG on fender or jazz bass. Although i use EMG on my warwick corvette. But for fender jazz or similar i will use stuff like nordy, duncans, bartolini, dimarzio and delano.

He mention he want the duncans which i think it will be decent along with the preamp and the bass.