Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eastern PA TBers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jul 11, 2001.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I know Christos and OddEntity are near me. How many others do the Philly and 'burbs, Lehigh Valley, Pocono area?

I'd like to get out to see you. Also, we could maybe share some resources, give advice, and help make connections for each other (like playing Open Mic for Phil Stahl at Beerbelly's in Bethlehem on Mondays is actually a good deal because he can help get you other shows in the area if he likes you).

I wish this board gave the option of searching members by location.

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hey Zulu-

one of the guitarists in my band knows some guys up your way, in Allentown/Bethlehem. I forget the name of the band, though-- I'll have to find out.

I noticed you're playing PJ Henry's soon -- that's right around the corner from my house, and right down the street from the Nail (which is the only bar my band has played so far). If I'm in town, I'll definitely come check you out at PJ Henry's. Have you played there before? I'm wondering if my band should give it a shot.

Have you played the Nail? They have "auditions" on Wednesday nights (you have to call in advance) and if you bring enough people in they'll ask you back for more dates. That's how we got started.

Right now we're recording a demo so we can start shopping our music to clubs downtown like the Khyber, Pontiac Grille, etc., and maybe to West Chester since it's a college town. We do a few covers, but not enough to please the suburban folk, so we want to get into the city...

Thanks for the Beer Belly's info -- I'll have to pass that on to my bandmates!

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I heard about Wednesdays at the Nail. We were looking into it. Same deal as Beer Belly's (but that's on Mondays).

Two guys in the band are in an original group called LoFi Genius. They do the Nail, Khyber, Pontiac Grill, etc. This is their project I was recruited for. I was trying out with BKLounge but it didn't work out (different styles and aspirations) but they refered me to these friends of theirs. They wanted to get a chance to do some covers and feel more appreciated I guess. So we planned to do mostly funk and soul (which is up my alley). But we are veering more and more toward SKA. I've been playing SKA since back in 1982, so I'm down there too.

We need some work to get the set list up to 35-40 range (we're about 1/2 way). To my dismay, we are forced into the inevitable trap of throwing in slurpee Y-100 tunes as filler for now. Our intent is to do some openers and small rooms or party-type things. Not heavy gigging from the looks of it, but a fun diversion.

PJ Henry's is booking for August now. I never played there but I hear it's a smaller stage. We are still debating our name. I'll let you know. What time is your deal at the Nail on the 26th? I'll see about coming out or at least sending the locals out to spy.

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I doubt PJ Henry's stage could be smaller than the Nail! :D Actually, now that I think about it, they're probably about the same size.

We'll be "headlining" (if you want to call it that!) at the Nail on the 26th, so I guess we'll go on around 11?

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Am I all alone up here?

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Of course not...you're never alone. Where specifically are you?

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I be in Scranton, PA :eek:

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    You're not alone. I've been asked by people who work with me when we are going to play up in Scranton area. It's probably too far for the rest of the band, but I work right off of 80 in the Poconos. I'd love to get up there to play eventually. Is there a decent scene other than Montage concerts?

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I let them know, that said to thank you and fwd this:

www.lofigenius.com

I'd actually like to play with LoFi, but they have two guys that split the bass responsibilities. Plus those are old schoold bud of thiers.

Also, we booked our audition gig at the Nail for 8 August at 10:20pm. Any tips?

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Not really... just bring as many people as you can! And don't take it too seriously... :D

11. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well i live in d.c. right now but i go to school at penn state! go lions! :D

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I went to U. Miami. I'll see ya at opening day. Bring Kleenex for al the PSU fans.

13. hey cat, i may be playing on Aug 19th at the black cat, you should come check us out!

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I live in Philadelphia. I'm just starting to play so I'm not playing anywhere yet. Maybe soon though.

Go Temple! uhh well for basketball anyway.

15. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well....lessee...

There's not many clubs in the area. And I've never been to any of them. I guess there's a bar scene. A band I like (and friends of mine) called the Village Idiots (they do a lot of Grateful Dead and Bob Marley covers) play at a bar called JD Crackers every Wednesday. Most of the bands in my area are nu-metal, stuff like that or just cover bands. To me, the scene's not very interesting...But I know there are some good singer/songwriters. The talented musicians never seem to get any attention. :(

16. Nope, Scranton here, but the band is philly based....

By the way I live about 2 miles from Crackers......

I have actually worked sound for a few bands with Robbie Walsh, the guitarist from the "idiots".....

17. Blasphemy! I'll be at the game unless I have a gig.

BTW I'm in the State College vicinity. My new band should be up and running within the month so come and check us out...now if we could only decide on a name i could tell you who to look for!

WE ARE...PENN STATE!

18. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ahh....Rob...yes...He teaches guitar lessons at the store where I get my bass lessons. :)

How do you manage living in Scranton, yet having a Philly-based band?

19. The other four guys live in the Philly area, I commute 2 hours for practice 2-3 a week.......

So Jeff is your teacher? He is exceptional, actually I don't know the correct word to describe his ability... I would probably have to make up a new word.......