Eastman Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by twiz, Nov 4, 2003.

1. twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I recently acquired an Eastman Bass from World of Strings in Long Beach, CA. This is my second bass. Although I may not have played URB long enough to warrant purchase of a second bass, I was basically sold a "lemon" by another store that was poorly setup and terribly expensive for what it was.

Anyway, the first bass went on consignment and my new Eastman replaced it. I had looked very deeply into the offerings in the 2.5k to 5.0k range and based on the advice from the outstanding people at WoS, I feel that I made a very sound discussion.

The bass was outstandingly well set up and has a deep rich tone. I had the bass set up with Hybrids which are fairly decent strings for bowing and fine for pizz. I also asked for the bass to be set up with an underwood which was expertly installed. Finally, I had one of those nice ($20!!!) rubber balls installed on the end pin to prevent further destruction of my floors.

flawless fully carved. about halfway between the "orange" and and "brown" finshes that we're so used to. interestingly, my instructor's first comment was that it reminded him of the fine 5k range german/eastern european basses coming out a few years ago.

this is always a subjective thing which I will address simply. to a reasonably untrained ear, the tone of this bass is warm and rich to me. there were no rattles or anything disconcerting whatsoever. i am incredibly pleased with the tone and expect it to carry me for a long time. overall i couldn't be happier.

Thanks World of Strings!

Outstanding bass, I couldn't possibly recommend this bass any more strongly!
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Congrats on the new bass. I'm considering an Eastman also but the lower end ply. Their eastcoast distributor is about 15 minutes from my house. I should try to get over there. does world of Strings have a web site?
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Oh and by the way. Pics are mandatory
  4. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Eastman makes some great stuff, what number is it? 305?
  5. bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    My $.02:

i rented an eastman for several months while i was saving up to buy a bass. the setup and strings were really bad and i didn't have much (any) say in getting them changed as i was just renting. it sounded ok, but it was a struggle to play it as the neck was VERY thick causing an unnaturally wide arch between my left thumb and fingers, and the string length was 42 1/4" which is pretty long for a 3/4 bass and a wee short bassist. the bass weighed so little, that it would not lie flat on its side. the weight of the scroll pulled the lower bout up off the ground. not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that, but it suggested to me that the wood was not very dense. i really liked the color and the fittings on that bass but i thought it was not worth what the shop wanted for it ($3800) and indeed the mathias thoma bass i bought next outperforms it.