Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eastman bows? any good? how does it compare to Bob Gs?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by aaguudis, Dec 16, 2004.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    I have been practicing with a glasser and I have finally gotten to the point where I dont like practicing with the bow because I just hate this bow so much. So i am looking to buy a new bow.

I played around with an "eastman" german bow at my local luthiers. It was great to play. Very light and easy to use. Cost like 400 dollars though. Are these good bows? I did a search but couldnt find anything.

Also how does this bow compare to the ~150$ brazilwood bows on (all hail) Bob Gs website? I have heard many great things about those bows. I am a jazz player with an old kay and do not need a performance bow (except for the last note of those ballads!) but need a bow that I enjoy practicing with.

Thanks.

2. I don't know about the eastman bows but I really like my german bow from Bob G. The weight is well balanced and it just generally feels good. My teacher, who was a conservatory trained musician who turned to jazz, also really likes the bow, say's it's real solid (as in not amazing but he said it was worth twice what I payed for it).

3. bdengler

bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    I have an Eastman bow and I'm very happy with it. But be sure to try out at least three of them before you pick one.

Regards, Brian