1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eastman laminate basses - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I play electric right now but I want to get into upright playing as well. I want to play arco and pizzicato, but I am more of a jazz person than classical. I also enjoy folk as well; one of my favorite recent albums was the Goat Rodeo Sessions with Yo-Yo Ma, Chris Thile, Stuart Duncan, and Edgar Meyer.

The thing is that I don't have a whole lot of money I can invest in a bass. I have a chance to get an Otto Benjamin MB-100 (Music & Arts' label for Eastman VB-80) in brand new condition for right at $1000 (it normally sells for something like $1650), and it seems like a really good deal. Most people tell me that looking at a bass that normally sells for less than $1500 isn't worth looking at, so this instrument should be decent enough for my needs. I just wanted to get any personal experiences with this particular instrument and/or brand of instruments. I'm not asking about the price per se, rather the quality of this particular instrument versus other entry-level string basses.

2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Played at least one nice Eastman. Shens are a good value...