Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eastman lower-end models...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 2, 2004.

1. I've noticed, (thru in-depth monitoring of the postings on this forum), that Eastman basses seem to have a pretty good rep here among the various makes of Chinese basses.

But does anyone here have any knowledge of, or experience with, their less expensive laminated models, the VB100 and/or the VB120? There's a local shop who sells them; the owner mentioned one for around $950, but of course that would just be with a minimal set-up as he says they work mostly on electric instruments in their shop..

However for that money, if the bass is generally okay to begin with, it seems to me that I would then be able to spend a few hundreds more for better strings and a good set-up (at an experienced dbl bass luthier's shop) and then have a decent enough instrument for starters, yes?

Thanks for any responses here,
    Greywoulf

2. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Well,
    I am just starting out on the DB and haven't even had my first lesson yet. The rental that i have is a samuel eastman bass i believe the lowest end model. Fully laminated and set up by a luthier. As i have not played more than 3 DB's in my lifetime do not take my opinions/observations as completely reliable but here goes anyway. When selecting a DB to rent from a local luthier/violin shop i was presented with two basses. The first was the samuel eastman the second was another bass, slightly older (unsure of brand.) Anyway i chose the Eastman because its projection and volume were louder. The other bass had more of a dark/ mellow tone more suitable for jazz but the projection was not there. Projection was important to me because as of yet i still have weak BG hands and i wanted to be able to make a sound out of my instrument that i would be able to hear. After playing my rental for about two weeks i can say that the samuel eastman has good projection and good volume. The projection is really the best part of this bass. I've played the fully carved bass at my HS and have found my eastman to have better projection and volume. The tone on the eastman is overall good for a beginner starting out. Sometimes the sound can get quite boxy especially on open A. THe whole thing resonates and the note loses some color. I've had some issues with the tuning (the notes seem to go flat every day or two) but i have passed this off as a natural issue with a ply DB. From my point of view i can't see anything wrong with the Samuel Eastman for a beginner. Overall, the projection is a major plus and the tone ain't half bad and the build is sturdy.
    I'd recommend.

3. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    A couple days ago i recorded a little sound clip of me playing the samuel eastman. Bear in mind that i've only been playing for about 2 weeks with no lessons as of yet so my intonation and attack are pretty wretched. But anyway here's a sound clip of me playing.

http://www.geocities.com/bar0nv0naar0n/

Hope you like it! :D

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I tried the low end Eastman, Shen and Christopher when I was shopping. They were all very similar. To my novice ears they sounded nearly identicle. I went with the Christopher because the neck was a little thinner and easier to play.
    You really can't go wrong with any of these

5. Couldn't find any sound at all on that site, Spots...?

Greywoulf

6. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
  7. Sorry to stray off topic , but sounded really good , how did you record it?

8. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Thanks! You'll get a kick out of this...

i dont have any special software.I just borrowed my dad's mic (its a pretty high end mic) and hooked up to my laptop and used microsoft sound recorder (its built in like solitaire). I went into preferences and changed playback and recording formats to just under cd quality mono. The plus is good recording quality, the bad is that its only 60 sec. of recording time. :spit:
    then i converted the wav to an mp3
    and voila!

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002