Eastwood Airline Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xan, Apr 22, 2005.

1. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  2. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That does look awesome. But have you ever played one?
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    no and i wouldnt be able to before i bought it. im currently playing an ibanez sr400... im thinking its definately gotta be better (altough different) than that. can anyone here vouch for the quality of eastwood gear?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's kind of an off brand. Don't expect spectacular stuff. It's made to look like Jack White's guitar.
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah thats what i thought, but then the ibanez i play now isnt spectacular either. thanks.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    nasty.. looks like an accident with a jigsaw and a beveler.
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Not exactly. It's a re-issue of the old Airlines, which isn't 'Jack White's guitar'- he just happens to use one. I love the looks, and I trust Eastwood as far as building a sturdy instrument (Mike Robinson is a really, really nice guy, and beyond helpful) but since I've never played this particular bass, I couldn't say about the tone. I'm thinkn it'd be worth buying new pickups just to have a bass that cool-lookin.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Eastwood definitely is going for looks first. The original Airline basses (made by Supro) had very strange pickups...some sort of pickup built into the (wooden) bridge and a magnetic pickup up by the neck.

Also no info on the scale length...the original Airlines had 25" scales!!! At least mine does, they are often called "pocket basses" because of this. The Eastwood is probably more practical for real woorld playing.

Another Supro/Airline inspired bass is the Italia Mondial. That one DOES have a piezo in the bridge.
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, the Eastwood has a 30" scale, as I recall. 25" is insane! :p

Italia rocks, by the way. :bassist:
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    doesn't look too comfy with those knobs there.