Eastwood Backlund Rocker - Finally!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, May 5, 2019.

1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Bass V, nixdad and jd56hawk like this.
  2. BrooklynBen

BrooklynBen Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2014
    New York
    Have you seen these or touched one? Looks *very* cool, but I have no idea what their build quality is like. Any opinions here?

B-Mac likes this.
  3. B-Mac

They are crowd funded so no touchie or feelie. :)
    Mine should be ready by September
    I do own 2 Eastwood basses that were also crowd funded and I am quite happy with them but they were about half the price of the Backlund Rockerbox

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I've played a few Eastwood guitars though, admittedly, never touched their basses. Their business model seems to be to revive extinct and obscure designs from the '60s and '70s. To keep this profitable they swap out proprietary hardware with generic parts-catalog stuff where necessary. Hats off to them, they are boss at marketing their wares online. They create a hype that other manufacturers, especially smaller ones, simply don't have the savvy to capitalise in on. The tradeoff is that every penny they spend on sourcing coloured rocker switches is not spent on decent fretwork or electronics.

Eastwood stuff is all built overseas. Whether it is done by one factory or many I do not know.

The few guitars I've played have been quite cheaply turned out. They feel like $200 instruments, but with a $600+ price tag, purely because they are a weird shape. Electronics will be cheap, generic unbranded stuff. I wager the pickups are Artec or a similar OEM pickup house like that.

Nothing inherently wrong here. If you want an 'Airline' guitar then you pay through the spout for a '60s original with its janky electronics and crumbling plastics, or you pay for the wooden Eastwood version. At the minimum I would upgrade all the electronics and dress the frets. A lot of players won't or can't put this sort of effort into making an instrument playable.

Eastwood only bother me, really, when they do something like reissue the Ovation Magnum bass. The originals were built to a high standard and had a lot of unique hardware. Eastwood reissued these with a generic passive wiring harness and a mudbucker pickup in the neck. It won't sound like the originals, and won't be built to the same standard! Likewise their take on an Ampeg AEB is fundamentally different to the originals (though I'm always on the hunt for a clean used example of the Eastwood). There is sometimes a slightly slapdash lack of care when it comes to the details (check out the knob and switch placement on their HiFlier bass versus the Univox originals).

5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Cool looking bass. I've been looking at their stuff for a few years now and almost bit more than once, but all of the reviews I've seen mention or show poor build quality, so I've been afraid to take a chance.

6. B-Mac

I never bought from existing inventory
    Everything I’ve bought so far has been made to order at the start of production during crowd funding

Not sure about off the shelf inventory

D51AE536-36FC-4488-866A-2748035AB6C3.jpeg IMG_7770.jpg IMG_5542.jpg IMG_2422.JPG

I am very satisfied with both my Eastwood EB-1 and Classic 5

What is different about the Backlund Basses is that John Backlund is actually involved with Eastwood

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. B-Mac

replying to my own post.....

Got it! Signed for it! Went back to work and it is killing me!
    Went to a construction site near my house and waited for UPS as they always seem to deliver between Noon and 1:00 PM. Sure enough they delivered at 12:58 PM! Since I had to sign I avoid having to pick it up on Monday at the UPS hub, but now it is killing me!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021