Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eastwood Basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my pocket from a night of Texas Hold`em poker after a show the other night. I've been thinking about maybe getting the little number, shown below, priced at $265, since I miss my old Hofner 500/1 from `69.

I've never held nor plugged in an Eastwood bass. But I was thinking about buying this one just for fun as a junker @ $265.

Has anyone ever picked one up or tried one ? I've tried Japanese Apollo Hofner copies from the late 60's/early 70's that had junky electronics but the pickups on this thing don't look anything like that bass's.

Thanks much for any input -

[​IMG]

2. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have the very same bass and it is great. The only thing I do not like is the logo!

Sound is pretty much the same as all the Hofner knock offs - Rogue etc. - i.e quite authentic. THere are plenty of usable tones.

It has some neck dive but that is not unusual for this genre. Some of the finishing is not perfect - painted on binding being a bit rough but hey, overall construction is good.

I think that replacing the stock strings with TI flats would make the Eastwood still more "Sir Paulish".

The guy who imports these basses is a nice guy too.

I say go for it!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think if you have your heart set on a Hofner this will not fill the void. If you do get one hand pick it yourself, the quality can be hit or mis on these. I tried one at a local guitar shop.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    If I am understanding correctly, his heart is not set on a Hofner, it's just set on blowing the $265 to get him close enough but far away enough not to be able to make the direct comparison!

Wouldn't argue that this is well away from being a like for like substitute.

If I were getting another one, I would go Korean again but this time it would be a Dillion - great value.

5. And to toot Essex again, they've got a value priced little number in this category.

That blonde is sweeet though!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, folks!

I certainly wouldn't be expecting Hofner-like performance.....(but, hey! Essex, huh Ham??? Gotta take a look if they rate mention by you)

Since this is being sold by a used instrument dealer, I figure I could get the price shaved down.

It just looked like one of those fun basses you take to something where everyone is just "slummin' & strummin' "

The back looks clean, too. I guess the wood was salvaged from when the toothpick factory caught fire -

[​IMG]