1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eastwood Basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my pocket from a night of Texas Hold`em poker after a show the other night. I've been thinking about maybe getting the little number, shown below, priced at $265, since I miss my old Hofner 500/1 from `69.

I've never held nor plugged in an Eastwood bass. But I was thinking about buying this one just for fun as a junker @ $265.

Has anyone ever picked one up or tried one ? I've tried Japanese Apollo Hofner copies from the late 60's/early 70's that had junky electronics but the pickups on this thing don't look anything like that bass's.

Thanks much for any input -

[​IMG]

2. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have the very same bass and it is great. The only thing I do not like is the logo!

Sound is pretty much the same as all the Hofner knock offs - Rogue etc. - i.e quite authentic. THere are plenty of usable tones.

It has some neck dive but that is not unusual for this genre. Some of the finishing is not perfect - painted on binding being a bit rough but hey, overall construction is good.

I think that replacing the stock strings with TI flats would make the Eastwood still more "Sir Paulish".

The guy who imports these basses is a nice guy too.

I say go for it!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think if you have your heart set on a Hofner this will not fill the void. If you do get one hand pick it yourself, the quality can be hit or mis on these. I tried one at a local guitar shop.

4. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    If I am understanding correctly, his heart is not set on a Hofner, it's just set on blowing the $265 to get him close enough but far away enough not to be able to make the direct comparison!

Wouldn't argue that this is well away from being a like for like substitute.

If I were getting another one, I would go Korean again but this time it would be a Dillion - great value.

5. And to toot Essex again, they've got a value priced little number in this category.

That blonde is sweeet though!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, folks!

I certainly wouldn't be expecting Hofner-like performance.....(but, hey! Essex, huh Ham??? Gotta take a look if they rate mention by you)

Since this is being sold by a used instrument dealer, I figure I could get the price shaved down.

It just looked like one of those fun basses you take to something where everyone is just "slummin' & strummin' "

The back looks clean, too. I guess the wood was salvaged from when the toothpick factory caught fire -

[​IMG]