1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eastwood Clasic 4, Testimonial

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I am all about that cool retro look, it's part of my image on stage and fits our band.

While it's a novalty kind of bass, I purchased a new Classic 4 Bass from Eastwood yesterday.

This is the Mohogany, double cutaway body style that looks like the old Gretch basses rom the 60's.

Here is the scoop IMO:

It sounds great and looks great, the action out of the box was perfect. i know it's not for everybody

I was able to get a deal at 425.00

For those of you who love this 60s look and sound, buy the Clasic 4 you will not be disapointed.

blue

2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks!

3. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    neck dive?

slight? big? small? none? body dive?

4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    I've been wanting one of these for a while. It would kind of fit my band's sound/image too. Got any pics?

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    No, not really they have the strap button perpendicular to the body unlike my Hofner.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    At first i thought, ok this thing looks awesome, but probably won't sound like much.

I ran it through my GK 1000rb with 2 10 and 115 cab. I was knocked out buy the deep girthy sweet tone of this bass.I have been doing this for 40 years, so I am well versed inSemi hollow basses.

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    How's the fit and finish?

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Top Notch, I was really suprised. This is not a cheesy novelty bass from China.

9. Where are the pics of your bass?:confused:

10. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    what kind of bridge does it have? how's the intonation?

11. cloclo

cloclo

Dec 13, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    well,

i got my Eastwood Classic 4 for a few weeks now and this is my opinion:

1 - it IS a cheap bass made in China (the little 'made in China' sticker told me so)
    2 - it does have some neckdive but that is to be expected with such a design, the bass is also quite heavy
    3 - the finish and workmanship is so-so (see pics)
    4 - one of the strap-buttons is drilled in with an angle (see pics)
    5 - the pickguard feels very tacky and is fastened by 2 tiny screws. the part at the bridge does not have a 3rd screw so it is a bit flappy at that side. i removed it (hence the 2 little holes in the wood)
    6 - the bridge looks and feels very very cheap. i intonated the G and E-string by moving the bridge around (the A and D are okay then also). that is why the bridge isn't at a 90 degree angle to the strings (see pics). the intonation is good that way.
    7 - one of the 3 knobs is a bit loose in such a way that when you turn it a bit too hard you can feel the pot underneath the wood turning also (what will this be in 1 year??)
    8 - i had to fasten the jack input because, yep, it was loose also
    9 - the tuners are flimsy and too light to turn
    10 - the tone is great
    11 - oh, but the case IS made in Canada :)

here are the pics

i like the bass and it's sound, but it still is a cheap (and cheap made) Chinese bass.

cheerio!

12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    That was another thing I was wondering! I see it's got a rosewood bridge - how do you adjust the string height?

13. Mugwump

Mugwump

Dec 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Cloclo,

Do you think we could get a picture of the bass as a whole? I've been curious as to it's look with the removed pick guard.

Thanks.

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Mine came with the knobs crooked too. You just need to unscrew the set screw and turn the knob so that the set screw doesn't go into the slot on the shaft.

You also need to take the protective covering out from underneath the bridge. That's just for shipping.

Yours does have a little more slop in the fit and finish than mine though one of my tuners is not parallel to the others. The tone is great though. I would have sent it back otherwise.

15. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Yep, got one C4 couple of months back, really cheap made, worst than I expected.

OK it's a U$500 China bass but I've owned and played better constructed instruments at this price range.

The bass arrived in a pretty bad shape. Action and set up was terrible out of the box. Stock strings got replaced with some flat wounds which improved the overall sound giving it a nice 60s thump.

Bridge has some little intonations issues but McCartney's Hofner has always sounded a little off too, so I'll consider it like a "feature".;-)

Overall construction is definitely not good, the center wood block was badly glued to the bottom which caused some strange vibrations, my bass tech found a way to solve this problem but I have no idea of what he did.

Neck dive is not that dramatic, light tuners helps keep things under control. I haven't much time with it in stand up position but I don't think it's a big deal.

Sound is ok, pickups are pretty hot although very unbalanced over the strings, I first though in replacing them with a pair of TV Jones but I don't think it worth it. Neck PU sounds pretty fat while bridge has a good attack.

Knobs and pots are really cheap and wouldn't last very long. I'm just waiting them to fail to get replaced.

I ended up by found that with some good flats, a proper set up and perhaps some luthier work the Classic 4 could have some playing time.

It definitely got the 60s vibe but it's a shame Eastwood Guitars have such low quality standards, even for a low cost line.

With a better workmanship this bass could be a hit.

16. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I get the impression that like most cheap imports, there are probably good ones and bad ones out there. The band The Black Angels use one of these on certain songs and it sounds ridiculously good. In a video interview they kept talking about how blown away they were by it, and his other bass is a vintage Fender.

That said... my band has had an Eastwood endorsement for a few years and I still haven't felt the need to buy any of their basses. I always go thump on em at NAMM every year, but most don't flip my whistle. Of all of them, the Airline MAP bass is probably the best, but it also costs the most, and is made in Korea. The Hi-Flyer is also a pretty solid instrument. If i needed a cheap fun bass that'd be a good place to start.

The studio I recorded my last album at (owned by the band Earlimart) had an Eastwood Club bass, but its pretty crappy I gotta say. According to Aaron from Earlimart, the only way to make it usable was to put flats on it, shove a ton of foam up by the bridge, and palm mute the hell out of it with a pick. The only song i played that required a tone like that... well, i reached for a vintage Harmony instead and it sounded much better.

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Wow!

I bet your a lot yonger than me and coming at this from a different angle.

China and Korea used to worry me, still does to a point. I have a couple of Fender Tele basses made in Japan and we all know the quality is outstanding. I love the retro look of my tele basses to, however, the single coil pick up is a little lmited.

I have a Hofner Contemporary Club and the new Eastwood, I think they are fine.I did not have any of the problems you had with yours.

I would bet my Eastwood is a lot more playable than it Great Granfather, the Gretch from the 60s.

Neck Dive, thats a new one for us old timers, never heard of it, never bothered me.

At my next show, I plan on walking on stage wearing my Hofner, letting he crowd, freinds and fans see it.Then right before we hit the 1st note and rock I am going to switch to the Eastwood.

It will be cool, poeple will say,"thats the guy that has all those weird basses."

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I admit pick guards on semi hollows is a little weird for me.I could see at some point removing them from my Hofner and the Eastwood.But a part of me doesn't like f ing around with the way the bass was meant to look.

i did take the guard off my Tele basses, they look tough now.

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sound is ok, pickups are pretty hot although very unbalanced over the strings, I first though in replacing them with a pair of TV Jones but I don't think it worth it. Neck PU sounds pretty fat while bridge has a good attack.

My EBS Multi-Comp takes care of the balance issue.

Wow, i lucked out.I must have gotten one of the good ones. I was at Cream City Music the other day at lunch and they were putting out the whole Eastwood order.I saw the Classic 4, I flipped and bought it on the spot.

Now on semi-hollows, I had an Allen Woody and traded it for a Jaguar Bass.I did not like the Allan Woody. The PUs were the main problem, not hot enough. It was cool looking though.

I play all 8 of my basses, they are not sittin around collecting dust.I bring 2-3 to every show.Thing is, we play some rough clubs on the bad side of town, so I get a little weird about bringing more basses than I can monitor.I have heard stories of basses walking out of clubs in the wrong hands. Funny I have not used my Jag at a show yet. I am thinking about taking the pick guard off of it.I love MIJ Fender basses. the necks feel so prime. Wish I could say the same for MIM.

By the way i am off to Dallas tommorow to the International guitar show.I wil definately be runnin my mouth a The Eastwood booth.

20. I have an Eastwood Club bass and it is a really great instrument. Mind you, I got mine for $350 and it was a floor model, but still. It plays great, sounds the part, and looks cool!

It's a keeper!