1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eastwood (Hofner) Club Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Dec 24, 2017.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Been doing some searching and reading about this bass, as I recently came across one for sale and dig the looks... There doesn't seem to be a whole of info on them, though. Have many of you played or owned one? The one thing that turns me off a bit is the binding on the neck - I tend to prefer non-bound necks, as they're often a little rounder on the edges, and therefore more comfortable in my hands. I'll be trying it out on the 28th, so i'll know for sure how it feels then. In the meantime, I'd love to hear some insights about this bass.

Thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Links? Pics?

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    To the Eastwood/Hofner Club bass?

Sure, here you go:

4. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Opinion? Experience?

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I don't think Eastwood makes them anymore. You might need to look for used.

6. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
  7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'm about to buy a used one. I'm looking for opinions of the bass from people who have previously used it

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I contributed to that thread actually. But thanks for the link.

Hmm. Looks like the Eastwood version didn't get much use... I guess I'll find out why in a few days.

9. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    As you can see in my avatar, that's my '63 Hofner Beatle bass I happily played for several years until neck dive got the better of me.

Thumpy with dead flats and a pick, powerful pickups, thin neck, short scale and near mint. If the Club bass is anywhere near that, you'll be happy.

Oh yeah, it was an unbound neck so I can't help with that.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    superheavyfunk and RedVee like this.
  10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    So I bought the bass... the bound neck is pretty square-feeling but for the time being, I think I can suffer it. Other than that, I dig the way it looks and feels and it is surprisingly loud when unplugged. It's basically the perfect "couch bass."

All that aside, WHO THE HECK CAME UP WITH THIS WIRING SCHEME?!!? It makes no sense to me - I can't seem to figure it out, as much as I flick the switches and turn the knobs. Some settings make no sound at all until I turn a knob but then I'll flick a switch and the whole thing shuts down again! Right now, I just have the panel set in a way that allows me to play the thing amplified but I certainly won't be taking it out in public until I get this thing sorted out. Why in the world did Hofner design their tone stack in this manner?

11. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    To Hofner's credit, they tried to change/update it, but retro-obsessed customers demanded they go back to the old panel.

Here's how it works: Each pickup has a volume control. Rhythm switches in a couple of resistors to drop the output by 30%. (Solo bypasses the resistors.) Bass On switches in a treble cut capacitor (.1 uF cap in series with an 8.2K Ohm resistor). It's a DPDT switch wired for an 'equal and opposite reaction': switching to Bass On also mutes the bridge pickup. When switching to Treble On, the neck pickup is muted (that's why switching both to On cuts all output), and a bass cut capacitor (.01 uF) is switched in series with the bridge pickup. So there is a logic to it, albeit a strange logic.

It's worth turning one of the pickup volumes back to 9 or 8 and then blending in the other pickup to taste--it works better than trying to blend both at full volume.

Or (as long as the control panel isn't the type with a circuit board), you can rewire it to eliminate the 'equal and opposite reaction' effect, increase pickup blending options, and have more treble cut settings. I've detailed that process here.

Enjoy your new bass!

12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Wow. Thanks so much for the detailed info! I searched a bit online but I was looking for a manual (lol) and came up with nothing. I should have known better and came to TB first!

Yeah, I think I'd like to rewire the controls and make it a bit more intuitive. And since it's not a vintage instrument, I won't have to deal with folks yelling at me for devaluing it. ;)

Stumbo and fermata like this.
  13. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Congrats on the bass.

Yeah, now I remember the controls. I never really figured them out either. I got it to sound good and just left them alone.:)

superheavyfunk likes this.
  14. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Fermata has the controls exactly right. But, before you call Hofner - style controls naughty names, 2 things:
    - When Hofner started making electric instruments, they were still recovering from losing WWII, and resources were pretty scarce. That goofy rectangular control plate, for instance? You can get a lot more rectangles out of a sheet of plastic than you can swoopy, curvy pieces.. And, because resources were scarce;
    - Read fermata's description of the controls again, but, as you do - pretend you're holding an electric guitar. Makes a lot more sense if you do, doesn't it? Hofner was simply forced to use what they had; and now, people don't want them to change. And they want their Hofner clones to be the same, too...;)

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    They originally used an oval control plate and they included a large swoopy, curvy pickguard that I've removed on every Hofner I've owned.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  17. Hof Ign Clb Prp Jbz. I did away with the goofy Hofner controls, and fabricated my own control plate with J-bass V-T-V wiring. I do appreciate the simple rectangular shape of the controls plate, as it was super easy to make.

Just about any mod you might want to make will require a custom made part, methinks.

18. spike42

spike42 Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Wiring concerns notwithstanding, here's my Eastwood Club. I'd played a used one at GC some years back and remembered liking the neck, so when this one came up on a local FB sales group, I grabbed it up.

At that time, I had a Hofner Contemporary Club that I just wasn't bonding with. My memories were correct and I found the Eastwood neck a better fit for me than the HCT.....(it's just a couple mm wider), so I sold the Hofner but kept the case for the Eastwood to live in. As someone put it earlier, it's a fun "couch" bass. It's absolutely terrible on a strap as the tuners are way too heavy for the body - worst case of neck dive I've personally experienced. I could perhaps swap for some Hipshot lightweights but that doesn't make financial sense for a bass that cost me $225.

So I just enjoy it as-is; strung with some funky old flats I had in my stash and plugged into my Ashdown LB30, it's great fun to noodle around on.

DSC07668. DSC07669. DSC07672. DSC07686. DSC07692. DSC07808. Z.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019