1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eastwood Hurricane Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Oct 21, 2013.

1. For those not familiar with this bass, it's a copy of a Magnatone Hurricane from the mid 60's. The Eastwood version has a single Jazz pickup mounted pretty close to the sweet spot (where a P bass pickup would normally go). This may be a dumb question but what does a Jazz pickup sound like in that position?

2. Bump...anyone??

3. So nobody knows what a J bass pickup sounds like in the P position? Wow...surprising!

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    All I can reference is playing a Jazz bass on only the neck pickup, it's in the same territory give or take. There has been a lot of discussion on whether or not this sounds like or similar to a Precision. As usual, people are divided. In my view, it get's pretty darn close. I have Dimarzio model J dual coils in my Jazzes,, and that gets it even closer.
    My short answer, you are going to get a warm woody tone similar to a P and typical of single "in the sweet spot" pickup basses. Someone else may come along and have a whole different viewpoint.

5. Thanks for the response. I always wondered if the sonic difference was because of pickup placement or pickup construction.

6. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    its all in the placement of the pickup. when using a pick for grateful dead stuff you can lean towards the neck pickup to get that phil sound.