1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EASTWOOD K-200 - WOW, be the first on your block!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
  2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Eastwood makes cool stuff and that bass is kinda neat.

To me, Eastwood is Canada's Rondo/SX but the basses are 5-10x cooler but also 5-10x more expensive!

4. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    seems like this one will also be collectible in the future. 8 people are going to get lucky at that intro price!

5. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    So is that the deal then, you pay $200 and actually get the bass at that price assuming they reach their goal? I'm very interested, yet very confused. I just emailed Eastwood for clarification.

EDIT I see now it says you pay the remaining 1 week before shipping, so it would cost $879 + shipping

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    bholder and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    oh. i didnt see bal + shipping. i wonder how many they will end up making. probably few. im not interested in the bass myself, but am quite curious as to why eastwood needs such little money, from just 8 people in public, to get these into production :cautious: weird!

pacojas likes this.
  7. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah they emailed me back and confirmed it. Yeah, quite a pricing structure they have there if it only takes $1600 to produce at least 8 basses to be priced at $879 a piece.

electracoyote likes this.
  8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Short scale?

Short-scale likes this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've been following Eastwood, I don't know how I missed that one, is it new?

10. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Looks that way to me, I didn't see any specs anywhere though.

Short-scale likes this.
  11. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    It could be, they are taking pre-orders at $200 a pop, if they hit $1600 they will put it into production, I don't know if that means full production, limited run, or just as many as they got pre-orders for. Then, a week before shipment, the pre-orderers pay the remaining balance of $679+shipping.

12. I also saw this pop up this morning - very cool! I still wish it was a Surfcaster bass, but this one isn't too bad.

This is how the Eastwood Custom shop works. People can propose projects, and then they put them out there to see who is interested. If there is sufficient interest - that being at least 8 people (although there is no cap) - then they go ahead with it.

My guess is that they select the deposit numbers based upon how many they need to make in order for the process to be worthwhile to them and pay for their design work, etc. I don't think it is about the amount being how much it costs them. Obviously they have economies of scale and need to work with their producers in China, so there needs to be a minimum number of committed people to go forward. I'm also guessing that $200 has proven to be a decent amount to weed out those who will float a small amount of money on a lark but then walk away from it when it comes time to pay up versus asking people to shell everything out up front. Really, its quite good for a custom build - if you were having something commissioned for yourself by a luthier, it is usually more like 40-50% of the cost up front.

If you look on their pages, you'll see that most projects they have proposed get far, far more buyers than the minimum number set out. The free case is a nice throw in. One risk for interested parties here is that there is no guarantee that Eastwood will decide to adopt the model into its regular line after the custom run, so its pretty much a matter of buy it now or you might not be able to buy it at all.

On the positive side of things, the deposit is fully refundable if the project doesn't go ahead, and I think that it also is if you change your mind before they close the bidding (?) period.

So far, no word on scale or nut width, AFAIK.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Yeah, still kicking myself - I got into Eastwood about 12 hours too late to make that Surfcaster cutoff. Oh well, really wanted a 12 or a bass (or a bass 12!) anyway. I did sign up for their "May Queen" remake, sadly, too few others to get any kewl colors, have to settle for red.

scourgeofgod and blindrabbit like this.
  14. Maybe they will do a Surfcaster bass...although now seeing this project, I think the odds may be low (too much overlap). Cross your fingers and hope the Surfcaster makes their regular lineup! ;)

15. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I was kind of surprised they did the Surfcaster, always been a fan of those myself. Over the years I've been able to subdue and control my GAS (mostly through being such a cheap-skate), but Eastwood always makes it difficult, they have a way of seemingly tapping into my psyche and producing instruments I love. GET OUT OF MY HEAD EASTWOOD!

blindrabbit and bholder like this.
  16. You nailed it.

They really do come up with some unique stuff, often capitalizing on largely forgotten un-trademarked designs, but the electronics are nothing to write home about. I own a couple of Eastwood guitars and basses, visually interesting on stage.

And make money, yes they do.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  17. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Don't get me wrong, I love the look of a lot of there stuff, this K-200 is awesome imo, but I can't justify $879 for it. There is a sea of awesome gear out there at that price level, both new and used. If they ended up with a final price of $600 or less though I think I might have bit.

electracoyote likes this.
  18. I fully understand. And like I said, IME, the electronics are often only so-so. I usually end up with an Eastwood after finding it used at a substantial discount. I bought two Classic IV basses used, they were perfect for retro country gigs. I think I bought my Custom Kraft 6-string new (in Greenburst), and that is a badass vintage pawn shop looking guitar.

scourgeofgod likes this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    I'm still tempted by those green burst custom krafts! Lightning bolt f holes and all!

electracoyote and blindrabbit like this.
  20. They actually have a decent set of humbuckers in them. Still a little pricey, but the looks are almost worth it.