easy 6 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Dec 29, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Is 34 inch scale the absolute minimum for b string playability? I'f got smallish hands, and I'v grown to love the feel of my 32 inch scale 4 banger. I'm planning to build myself a 6 string fretless, but I'm guessing its pretty reasonable to guess that a 32 inch b string would be loose enough to use for a neckstrap. Anybody out there playin a 32 inch 6 shooter?
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although longer is better IMHO, just is much is dependant on the construction (i.e. rigidity) of the bass itself. Also a heavier gauge B would improve the tone of the shorter scale.

Note: Matt Garrison's Fodera 5 signature is only 33" scale (although I don't know if he strings with a low B or high C).
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you got some rock hard woods, and some graphite bars to reinforce the neck...it could very well work at 32" or 33"

Speaking of rock hard woods...Greg Curbow uses Rockwood, which is the bastard child of graphite and wood (bassmonkee could help on this one). It's wood that are put through a process that make them pretty much as strong as a graphite neck, if a little less asthetically pleasing. But, it makes great necks.

I'd look in to that if you want a short scale 6er that would have a killer B string.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

to be honest, i like the look of rockwood necks way more than the look of graphite ones. it's all subjective, of course. :)
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But, JT...they aren't shiny.

I personally think they are kinda...uh...

But they make a heckuva neck.
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, look at all that rockwood! hee hee

7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    who is it that plays that really pretty blue alembic 8 string bass...with a 32" scale? trip wamsley?
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That'd be him...but as I recall, the bass is for mostly touch style (well, with a flat fingerboard, I would imagine), so I'm not sure how the B works on that bad boy. Ask Gard though, he's played it.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I once played a 30 1/2" scale custom Alembic Series I 6 string. It had a good, useable B. But it also cost over $6000 new. It can be done, if you go to the right luthier. But you better have deep pockets.
  10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I've played Trip's bass and its quite the monster, I couldn't keep track of where I was! He doesn't really use it only for touch style from what i've seen, , in fact at NAMM, I didn't see him really tap at all, just slap and fingerstyle stuff.

Also, its not 32", its a full 34".
  11. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    If you check out Fodera's photo gallery they've got a shot of a 33" scale Matt Garrison 6-string on there. They basically just have the low B tuning peg up a the top of headstock instead of the bottom.

Here's the page...
  12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    No need to put the B tuner at the end of the headstock...

I've tried this on one of my basses and the result was not obvious. Well, there was no particular result :D

33" six string bass will work well even with standard string gauge, providing you have a very solid neck!
    The low B will not be floppy if the bass is well made.

I haven't tried 32" but I've once built a 30" bass for mi wife and went with d'addario specific short scale strings. I dunno if there is one manufacturer offering short scale 6 strings sets though.

Peace, JP